How to bring richtext into textarea?

PSiegmann

I think you all know those richtext textboxes in forums etc.

As example:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex16/richtexteditor/index.htm
http://freetextbox.com/demos/

etc.

Well, my question is, how to make them? I don't ask for a complete
tutorial for a full blown control here, I just need a little tip. My
problem especialy: Where is the textarea tag in this rich text boxes?
Obviously, you type text into a textarea, but, if you rightclick into
it, you see that in reality it's a different page. (Usualy a blank
html) How does that work? It's textarea and that blank page at the
same time?

Is that an onclick event, onclick on textarea, then it transforms... ?

These are my first tryings in javascript, my job is C++ application
programming, so I can program, but I never had the time and motivation
to get into javascript, until recently. Please don't flame me if this
question might be a bit stupid for you.

Peter Michaux

I think you all know those richtext textboxes in forums etc.

There are not any textareas involved in those rich-text editors (rte).

Programming a complete rte would be a big job. If you want to learn
the basic workings maybe an example I built to learn the workings will
help <URL: http://peter.michaux.ca/temp/rte/example.html> Don't take
this example as the greatest cross-browser whatever. I just wanted to
understand a little.

If you just want an rte, the most popular open source rte works in
recent IE, FF and Opera releases. <URL: http://www.fckeditor.net/>

If you are new to JavaScript...<URL: http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ3_1>

Peter

PSiegmann

There are not any textareas involved in those rich-text editors (rte).

Programming a complete rte would be a big job. If you want to learn
the basic workings maybe an example I built to learn the workings will
help <URL:http://peter.michaux.ca/temp/rte/example.html> Don't take
this example as the greatest cross-browser whatever. I just wanted to
understand a little.

If you just want an rte, the most popular open source rte works in
recent IE, FF and Opera releases. <URL:http://www.fckeditor.net/>

If you are new to JavaScript...<URL:http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ3_1>

Peter

Thanks for your example, I will look into it.

scripts.contact

I think you all know those richtext textboxes in forums etc.
Well, my question is, how to make them? I don't ask for a complete
tutorial for a full blown control here, I just need a little tip. My
problem especialy: Where is the textarea tag in this rich text boxes?

It's a document with designMode - on :

Rich-Text Editing in Mozilla:
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Rich-Text_Editing_in_Mozilla

Converting an app using document.designMode from IE to Mozilla:
http://www.mozilla.org/editor/ie2midas.html