/*
Bunch of lines of code
*/

Should we use docstring """ """

Or there is something else too ??

Every help is appreciated.

Thanks

Felipe Almeida Lessa

Em Qui, 2006-03-30 às 15:21 -0800, (e-mail address removed) escreveu:
Like in C we comment like
/*
Bunch of lines of code
*/

Should we use docstring """ """

Or there is something else too ??

You should use a decent editor that could automatically
comment/uncomment code upon your request.

HTH,

Tim Chase

Or there is something else too ??
You should use a decent editor that could automatically
comment/uncomment code upon your request.

In Vim, you can map a key to do the following:

:s/^/#

to comment the highlighted lines, and

:s/^#

to uncomment them. To map them, you can use

:vnoremap <f4> :s/^/#<cr>
:vnoremap <f5> :s/#<cr>

(those are literal "less-than, ["eff, [4 | 5]" | "see,
are"], greater-than" characters)

Then, pressing <f4> in visual mode will comment the selected
lines, and pressing <f5> will uncomment any selected lines
that are commented.

The nice thing about vim's method of doing this, is that you
can combine it with grepping. If you want to comment out
every line containing a regexp, you can do

:g/regexp/s/^/#

Or, if you want to comment out from "regexp_1" to the
following line containing "regexp_2", you can use

:g/regexp_1/.,/regexp2/s/^/#

All sorts of handy tricks.

There are python plugins that I'm sure offer such abilities
built-in. There are likely ways to do this in other editors
too. I just happen to be a vim sorta guy.

-tkc

Laurent Rahuel

Like in C we comment like
/*
Bunch of lines of code
*/

Should we use docstring """ """

Or there is something else too ??

Every help is appreciated.

Thanks
Hi,

Maybe this sounds simplier than regexp and so, just use the """ marker like
this :

"""
this
would be
commented
during
execution
"""

Eric Deveaud

Like in C we comment like
/*
Bunch of lines of code
*/

Should we use docstring """ """

I would say NO.
docstring are displayed by pydoc, thus a pydoc on your code will display some
inconsistent information ;-)
Or there is something else too ??

some moderns editors allow you to comment/uncomment a selected Bunch
of lines of code

Eric
--
afin de parfaire mon apprentissage de linux,je cherche sur lille et sa
périphérie une nana tout linux

olsongt

Eric said:
I would say NO.
docstring are displayed by pydoc, thus a pydoc on your code will display some
inconsistent information ;-)

docstrings are a bit of a magical construct. Not all strings in a
function are docstrings.
.... "real docstring"
.... """
.... x=1
.... """
.... print x
....Help on function foo in module __main__:

foo()
real docstring

Eric Deveaud

docstrings are a bit of a magical construct. Not all strings in a
function are docstrings.

yep fogotten that triple quotted strings are considered as docstring
only if they are the first lines of the module/fonction/class/method
excluding the comments lines.

my bad

Eric

Michael Hobbs

Eric said:
yep fogotten that triple quotted strings are considered as docstring
only if they are the first lines of the module/fonction/class/method
excluding the comments lines.
The official rule is that if *any* string is the first line of a
function/etc, it is considered a docstring. It's just standard
convention to use the triple quotes for docstrings. As you mentioned,
you can use triple quotes for any string; likewise, you can use standard
quotes ( ' or " ) for docstrings as well.

- Mike

Dave Mandelin

I often use

if 0:
bunch of lines of code

That way, it's very easy to reenable the code, or to add an else, etc.
I can even put things like 'if 0 and USE_FOO_FEATURE' to document what
is being commented out. It's much more flexible than commenting out.

Sion Arrowsmith

Eric Deveaud said:
some moderns editors allow you to comment/uncomment a selected Bunch
of lines of code

Out of curiousity, is there a modern editor which *doesn't* allow you
to comment/uncomment a selected bunch of lines of code?

Kent Johnson

Sion said:
Out of curiousity, is there a modern editor which *doesn't* allow you
to comment/uncomment a selected bunch of lines of code?
TextPad is my editor of choice but it doesn't have this feature.

Kent

Rick Zantow

TextPad is my editor of choice but it doesn't have this feature.

I use TextPad all the time, and while it is true that the feature is not
built in, it's misleading to say it doesn't have it. It is implemented by
means of a macro definition. I assign a key to a 'comment' macro (basically
replacing regex ^ with '# ' for the selected text) to do this. And of
course I have a reciprocal 'uncomment' macro as well.

Frank Millman

Kent said:
TextPad is my editor of choice but it doesn't have this feature.

Kent

I also use TextPad - 4.7.3. I have never thought to comment a block of
code, but this thread prompted me to see if it is possible. As far as I
can see, you can do it like this -

Menu > Configure > Block Select Mode - Ctrl+Q,B

Select a block, one column wide, using mouse or keyboard.

Menu > Edit > Fill Block (brings up dialog box)
Fill character: #
Format: Left align
Fill mode: Replace
OK

Done.

To uncomment, as above but set Fill character to a space.

It feels a bit fiddly, but I reckon if you use it a few times it will
become quite smooth.

Frank Millman

Kent Johnson

Rick said:
I use TextPad all the time, and while it is true that the feature is not
built in, it's misleading to say it doesn't have it. It is implemented by
means of a macro definition. I assign a key to a 'comment' macro (basically
replacing regex ^ with '# ' for the selected text) to do this. And of
course I have a reciprocal 'uncomment' macro as well.

Thank you! I don't suppose you have any tricks to make it work with
UTF-8 data outside the cp1252 character set, do you?

Kent

Rick Zantow

Thank you! I don't suppose you have any tricks to make it work with
UTF-8 data outside the cp1252 character set, do you?

Sadly, I don't. TP claims Unicode support, but I'm not sure what they
mean; it does seem to be restricted to cp1252.

Kent Johnson

Rick said:
Sadly, I don't. TP claims Unicode support, but I'm not sure what they
mean; it does seem to be restricted to cp1252.

TP will correctly read and write UTF-8 files if they use only the
characters available in cp1252. So there is a little Unicode support but
it breaks down pretty quickly with, e.g. Chinese or even Polish.

Kent

jussij

You should use a decent editor that could automatically
comment/uncomment code upon your request.

The Zeus for Windows IDE has just such a feature:

http://www.zeusedit.com/python.html

To do this in Zeus you basically mark the lines of text
that need commenting then use the Macros, Add Comment
Block menu to comment the lines selected.

Then to remove the comments you use the Macros, Remove
Comment Block menu.

Jussi Jumppanen
Author: Zeus for Windows

Michael Sperlle

What's wrong with using three sets of double-quotes? I do it with kwrite
and it works like a charm.

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

What's wrong with using three sets of double-quotes?

One can't comment out code that contains multiline strings. Especially
nested comment out does not work.
I do it with kwrite and it works like a charm.

Why not Ctrl+D (comment) and Ctrl+Shift+D (uncomment)?

Ciao,
Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch