How to cope up with .NET

abcd

I answered all the questions I know from .NET 1.1 persepective. ADO.NET,
page life cycle, and all those. Except for advance questions I could not
elaborate to the professional extent. I took MCP in 2003. Today is 2007.
Meanwhile in 4 yrs I did not work in .NET. This is the truth. So if you dont
work in the technology obviosuly you tend to forget or loose the capability
to explain someone to the professional extent.

Now, can someone tell me the art of learning the new technologies like MCF,
MPF, Sliverlight, goldenlight, DiamonLlight, WWF etc :)

Still a little confused here.
exam 70-315 covers the entire gammit of VB.NET from enterprise web
based app to enterprise windows based apps. With ADO.NET, Data
Access, Rich Client, some of the questions he asked you you still
should have known if you taken this exam.

I'm not bashing you on this, but you say your an 'MCP' but couldn't
answer questions that the 70-315 exam covers.

I also to think MCP's, MCTS, MCSD, etc are a waiste of time and
money. Learn the stuff in the real world. Anyone can read a book and
take a test, hell if a 10 year can take the test and get certified,
what does that tell ya?

abcd said:
By the way exam 70-315 does not talk about Reflections, Generics,
delegates, CAS etc.

My case is differnt that just achieving the certification. In Jan
2003 I was working on a .NET project (ASP.NET 1.0/1.1) that time I
was involved wrting the intranet portal based on IBuySpy. That time
I was full time working in .NET and I just took the exam and passed
it with no additional study or training material because I was
practically working on those topics...Now, after that project I was
shifted to another product in our company which was using classic
ASP, COM, ADO etc. So last 3 yrs I am working on old technologies.
This is how I lost my .NET touch. Now, meanwhile .NET 2.0/3.0 has
come and as I am not actively working on a .NET project in our
company the learning curve has been slowed down. I too agree
certifications do not help at all. Thats why I dont want
to become MCPD or MCTS or whatever new certifications are.
if your an MCP in C# ASP.NET (exam 70-315), then his questions
should have been a no brainer to you then. So I'm a little confused.

Companies aren't becoming picky, the mgrs are just noticing that
anyone can get Microsoft certified and yet, never actually worked
with the technology. I myself own a software consulting company and
I had a resume come across my deks. It looked incredible, C++, C#,
.NET, VB.NET, SharePoint, Java, Handheld, etc, then he listed Java
Certified, Microfsoft Certified MCTS. So I was like OK, now this guy
knows what he's doing. WRONG! When I started asking him about
general .NET questions, he got a few not many, but when I started
asking some more advance .NET questions, security, architecture,
culture, etc. he was totally clueless, so I came down a notch and
asked about ADO.NET, ASP.NET, IIS permission, asp.net page flow,
web.config file information, again clueless. Come to find out he
just took the test and never worked in the technology.
So when I see a cert on a resume, it means absolutely nothing to me
these days.
Its just a piece of paper like a college degree. You will never know
how the real world works or what to expect until you experience it
first hand. Yes the degree is good, but do you want an recent
college grad running your fortune 500 company has his first job? Do
you want an freshly new MCTS being your tech lead on a million
dollar project for a client and he has no idea how to even get
around the VS.NET ide or can't even write a line of code ?
I know I don't

I am already MCP in VB 6.0, VC++ 6.0
MCP in C# ASP.NET (exam 70-315)

Looks little odd to me that by having such expereince and Microsoft
certifications one could not believe on my abilities. I too take
intvws for candidates from my company but I check only capabilities
and not the details about one particular technology. There are lots
of things in a product development cycyle that one should be aware
of. I have definitely started reading abt .NET but there are lots
of new things which is making me slow to learn considering my
daily work schedule.

I have worked in C++ MFC threading - CMutex, CSemaphore,
CCriticalSection and all that. Does this knowledge not sufficient
for some one to work in threading in .NET. Are the concepts really
changed...? I dont think so.... Looks like companies becoming very
aggressive and very picky.

Masudur wrote:
I am working on Vistual Studio since last 10 yrs. Working from
VC++ 1.x and VB 3.x. Currently I am working in VS 6.0, classic ASP,
COM, ADO. Today its called as old technologies. I have very
novice++ expereince with .NET. Recently I appeared for one intvw
and that guy just blasted me and FAILED me . He asked CAS,
threading, App domains, concurrency ADO.NET, and lots of
advanced .NET questions even I have not encountered reading
those. I know I am working on Visual C++, MFC, ATL, VB 6.0 since
many years. I can handle dot net too once the responsbiliities
come. My currently products are in old technologies and thats
what I sped most of my day working in those technologies and not
getting enough practical exposure to new .NET things...

How should I handle this issue.

[if this is not the correct group to discuss this topic then
kindly excuse me]

thanks

Hi...

no worry.... follow microsoft's current certification plan on .net
technology...
you will start running in .net platform soon...it easy ....

Masudur
http://munnacs.110mb.com