How to create new session when new IE session is opened?

albertly

How can I create a new session from the existing session in asp.net
when new IE session is opened using javascript's window.open method or
user's hyperlink click?

I have a web application which needs two different sessions.
When user clicks on a link in the existing session,
application pops up new window and the new session should start from here
onwards for this instance of IE.

I need the old session to continue in the parent IE instance.
How can I do that?

Thanks in advance

George Ter-Saakov

The problem is Browser.
It just supplies the same cookies as a parent window (Which is by design by
the way).

We had a workaround as to use IP address to open new window...
Then it will be 'new' web server and browser will not share cookies....

Example:

page: http://www.mystie.com/page.aspx
has a link top open child window
window.open("http://10.12.12.12/newsesssionpage.aspx", "_blank");

Requires IP address though, so might be a problem with shared hosting where
several web sites share same IP address.

George.

Patrice

Another option would be to handle your own application managed session.

I.e. technically you would have a single IIS session but you would address
those session variables depending on your own "subsession" value.
Also in some cases perhaps another design (for example an application could
be able to grant access to some other resources so that the user doesn't
have to open the application under another account).

Why do you have currently to open another session ?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Israel,

I agree with other members that the behavior whether new session will be
created is controlled by the client browser. While a new browser open be
opened by clicking a link on a page or "window.open" execute on a page, it
normally share the same session with the original window. Only when the end
user launch a new browser instance(at least for IE) will it start a new
session. Server-side application code has few control over this behavior.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead