How to: dBase as Datasource

JeffP@Laptop

datagrid1 has a single column contact

I'm getting an invalid datasource at...
Me.DataGrid1.DataSource = cmd

I don't want to use the methods here, I usually use SQLHelper
psuedo code: dim ds as new dataset = execute(.......

I just want to get my single colum populated.....

I'll work on more advanced stuff later....

'snipit...
Dim cmd As New OleDb.OleDbCommand
Dim cnn As OleDb.OleDbConnection
cnn = New
OleDb.OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & _
"C:\Apps\R2M\Database;Extended Properties=DBASE
IV;")
cmd.CommandText = "select c1.* ,c2.* from c1 ,c2 where c1.accno
= c2.accno"
cmd.CommandType = CommandType.Text
cmd.Connection = cnn
cnn.Open()
'I chose this because it's there, perhaps another Excute Type
would be better.
cmd.ExecuteNonQuery()
cnn.Close()

'the following line casuses the noted error
Me.DataGrid1.DataSource = cmd
Me.DataGrid1.DataBind()

cnn.Dispose()
TIA

JeffP....

Edwin Knoppert

I assume an ordinary access db will fail as well.
I say so since the connection is terminated
Make it a real connectionstring in web.config

Edwin Knoppert

To be clear, a datagrid is an obsolete control in vs2005.
but that's not the point for now, i recommend the sqldatasource being placed
on the form and let it build a conn string for you.
The grid should be connected to the sqldatasource.. SO, NO CODE.

JDP@Work

Edwin, I'm very confused by your reply.

My datasource is comprised of files not an SQL database.

I will eventually place my conn string in the web.config as well as all of my
data access into a common.vb file similar to SQLHelper.

But for now I just want to connect to my database and read a single column,
"Hello World" style.

Perhaps this will help. my database files are dBase 4 or 6 files that reside in
the path;

C:\Apps\R2M\Database

Data file c1.dbf
Memo Blob file c1.dbt
Index file c1.mdx

This is not an MS Access database.

TIA

JeffP.....

Edwin Knoppert

If you want i can write a VS2005 (!) example with the gridview?

I'm sure it works but i have to test.
Do NOT try to write a connectionstring manually, the sqlsdatasource cn do
that for you.
My collegue is also not use to that, let the designer help you, not code
involved.

Give me a call if you need a dbf example.
Would be nice if i had your dbf to use.

sqldatasource is NOT directly related to sqlserver.
A wrong name imo.
Forget the access datasource, this is a wweird breed imo.
Evt. mail.