How to define metaclass for a class that extends from sqlalchemydeclarative base ?

Ven

I use: Python 2.6 and sqlalchemy 0.6.1

This is what I am trying to do:

from sqlalchemy.types import (
Integer,
String,
Boolean
)

Base = declarative_base()

class SampleMeta(type):
def __new__(cls, name, bases, attrs):
attrs.update({ 'id': Column('Id', Integer, primary_key=True),
'name': Column('Name', String),
'description': Column('Description', String),
'is_active': Column('IsActive', Boolean)
})
return super(SampleMeta, cls).__new__(cls, name, bases, attrs)

class Sample(Base):
__tablename__ = 'Sample'
__table_args__ = {'useexisting': True}
__metaclass__ = SampleMeta

def __init__(self, id, name, description, is_active):
self.id = id
self.name = name
self.description = description
self.is_active = is_active

def __repr__(self):
return "<(%d, '%s', '%s', %r)>" % (self.id, self.name, self.description, self.isactive)

And the error I am getting is this:

TypeError: Error when calling the metaclass bases
metaclass conflict: the metaclass of a derived class must be a (non-strict) subclass of the metaclasses of all its bases

Now, if I do the same thing above by using

class Sample(object)

instead of

class Sample(Base)

it works absolutely fine.

I need to update the attributes of the class dynamically. So, I will be using dynamic attribute and column names. And I need the above piece code to work in order to be able to get there.

**Please help**

Peter Otten

Ven said:
[...]

I'm not an sqlalchemy user, but I'd try deriving your metaclass from Base's
metaclass:

BaseMeta = type(Base)

class SampleMeta(BaseMeta):

class Sample(Base):