how to detect that one XML is a subset of another one?

Phlip

XMLers:

How, using XSL or some similar generic tool, can we detect that this
XML...

....is a subset of this one?

Note we detect success when c is anywhere inside b, not just its
immediate child, and c contains at least one attribute d='e'.

Historically, the best attack I could figure out required recursing
thru the objects in the reference XML, and for each node creating an
XPath specifying each node contained certain arguments, and had a
descendant:: which specified the next inner node.

For extra credit, this item...

....would NOT match this...

....because the nodes' document order matters.

So what's the best algorithm here?

Peter Flynn

Phlip said:
XMLers:

How, using XSL or some similar generic tool, can we detect that this
XML...

...is a subset of this one?

Note we detect success when c is anywhere inside b, not just its
immediate child, and c contains at least one attribute d='e'.

XPath: ig/b[descendant::c[@d='e']]

eg
<xsl:template match="ig">
<xsl:if test="b[descendant::c[@d='e']]">
...something...
</xsl:if>
For extra credit, this item...

...would NOT match this...

...because the nodes' document order matters.

<xsl:template match="b">
<xsl:if test="c/following-sibling::d">
...something...
</xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

or, if there mustn't be anything between c and d,

<xsl:template match="b">
<xsl:if test="c/following-sibling::*[1][name()='d']">
...something...
</xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

///Peter

Phlip

Peter Flynn wrote:

Txbut!
XPath: =//b[descendant::c[@d='e']]

eg
<xsl:template match="ig">
   <xsl:if test="b[descendant::c[@d='e']]">

Now make it generic, such that /any/ reference XML goes into a
Generator G, and then G matches the sample XML as if it used such
XPaths.

I can write G; I have written one in Ruby and one in Python so far. I
am asking, if XML is a real format and these XSL things are _almost_
real languages, am I overlooking some clever meta-pattern in XSL, so I
can write G in the system that was intended for it? (And I don't mean
G produces a stack of XPaths; I mean it behaves like them.)

Another way to state the problem: How to 'diff' two XMLs and return
only the nodes that differ. If only the sample contains diffs (the
equivalent of many > ticks and no < ticks on a command-line diff of a
normal text file), then the reference XML is a subset of the sample.
So how to write the diff? (_Without_ pretty-printing the XML and
running a command-line diff - that wouldn't detect nesting correctly!)

Apologies for the confusing question. The purpose of G is to write
this assertion:

self.assert_xml(sample, lambda x:
x.b(
x.c(d='e'),
x.f() # must be after c
)
)

The assertion is easy to write, it skips irrelevant intermediate
nodes, it skips irrelevant attributes, it detects nesting correctly,
and it detects relative document order. This would make _unit_ tests
on generated HTML absurdly easy to write! User-developers can then
change the HTML art and layout freely, without damaging the tests that
detect where business logic injects the correct values.

Joe Kesselman

Phlip said:
Another way to state the problem: How to 'diff' two XMLs and return
only the nodes that differ.

Not hard to do if you do it in a proper programming language. IBM's
Alphaworks site had a particularly nice XML diff/merge for a while, but
it relied upon a nonstandard feature of IBM's original DOM. It could be
recreated, though, and similar tools do still exist from other sources.

--
Joe Kesselman,

Joe Kesselman

Re doing it in XSLT... XSLT is oriented toward tasks where there is only
one "current node" at a time, and is a nonprocedural language. You
could make a diff, but doing so would _not_ be easy.

I'd suggest coding directly against DOM, or against a custom data model.
XSLT/XQuery aren't intended to be the best answer for every possible
task; they're just good "swiss army knives" which handle most of the
most common requirements.

Phlip

Not hard to do if you do it in a proper programming language. IBM's
Alphaworks site had a particularly nice XML diff/merge for a while, but
it relied upon a nonstandard feature of IBM's original DOM. It could be
recreated, though, and similar tools do still exist from other sources.

Here y'all go, in a proper programming language!

The complete code, in Python via lxml, is below my sig. The highlights
are...

for node in doc.xpath('//*'):
nodes = [self._node_to_predicate(a) for a in
node.xpath('ancestor-or-self::*')]
path = '//' + '/descendant::'.join(nodes)
node = self.assert_xml(sample, path, **kw)
location = len(node.xpath('preceding::*'))
self.assertTrue(doc_order <= location, 'Node out of order!
' + path)
doc_order = location

That converts each node into an XPath representing its
characteristics, complete with sufficient predicates and descendant::
axes to help the XPath skip over irrelevancies.

The XPaths look like these:

//XMLPayRequest
//XMLPayRequest/descendant::RequestData
//XMLPayRequest/descendant::RequestData/
descendant::Vendor[ contains(text(), "LOGIN") ]
//XMLPayRequest/descendant::RequestData/
descendant::partner[ contains(text(), "PayPal") ]
//XMLPayRequest/descendant::RequestData/descendant::Transactions

The trick with the preceding::* axis seems to count the nodes between
the head and the current one, so comparing their counts seems to
enforce document order.

For extra credit, someone could think of a clever, recursive way to
cram all that into one humongous XPath. And someone could also find
away to replace all the "%s" strings with replacement tokens, so
embedded " marks cause no trouble.

This method trivially builds each predicate:

def _node_to_predicate(self, node):
path = node.tag

for key, value in node.attrib.items():
path += '[ contains(@%s, "%s") ]' % (key, value)

if node.text:
path += '[ contains(text(), "%s") ]' % node.text

return path

So I just need reassurance that I'm indeed at the industry's coal
face, here, and that nobody else has solved this in some humiliatingly
trivial way that I should use instead!

--
Phlip
http://zeekland.zeroplayer.com/Pigleg_Too/1

def _xml_to_tree(self, xml, forgiving=False):
from lxml import etree
self._xml = xml

if not isinstance(xml, basestring):
self._xml = str(xml)
return xml

if '<html' in xml[:200]:
parser = etree.HTMLParser(recover=forgiving)
return etree.HTML(str(xml), parser)
else:
parser = etree.XMLParser(recover=forgiving)
return etree.XML(str(xml))

def assert_xml(self, xml, xpath, **kw):
'Check that a given extent of XML or HTML contains a given
XPath, and return its first node'

if hasattr(xpath, '__call__'):
return self.assert_xml_tree(xml, xpath, **kw)

tree = self._xml_to_tree(xml, forgiving=kw.get('forgiving',
False))
nodes = tree.xpath(xpath)
self.assertTrue(len(nodes) > 0, xpath + ' should match ' +
self._xml)
node = nodes[0]
if kw.get('verbose', False): self.reveal_xml(node)
return node

def assert_xml_tree(self, sample, block, **kw):
from lxml.builder import ElementMaker
doc = block(ElementMaker())
doc_order = -1

Phlip said:
Another way to state the problem: How to 'diff' two XMLs and return
only the nodes that differ. If only the sample contains diffs (the
equivalent of many > ticks and no < ticks on a command-line diff of a
normal text file), then the reference XML is a subset of the sample.
So how to write the diff? (_Without_ pretty-printing the XML and
running a command-line diff - that wouldn't detect nesting
correctly!)

It's actually not quite the same as your original question, but:

onsgmls -wxml xml.dec a.xml >a.esis
onsgmls -wxml xml.dec b.xml >b.esis
diff a.esis b.esis

///Peter