How to determine odd or even number?

Thomas G. Marshall

Andrew Thompson coughed up:

....[rip]...

'The OP is not paying me enough to do it, and has not shown enough
effort to justify a serious response on c.l.j.programmer.'

Andrew, FWIW, as soon as I can grok these formal instructions in
news.groups, I am submitting a formal request for something like

comp.lang.java.beginner

or

comp.lang.java.newbie

Because comp.lang.java.help just isn't a clear enough name to establish its
charter toward beginners. Add to that the PITA fact that most of the NNTP
servers out there don't even supply the ng descriptions for each ng, and
we'll all just end up with repeating words to the effect of

please direct your questions to c.l.j.h

until the next ice age. Assuming of course that java survives past the next
10 years.

Thomas G. Marshall

Thomas G. Marshall coughed up:
[...]

Besides, now that I (re)look at the official list in
news.announce.newsgroups, it appears that the list descriptions for help
aren't even all that /clearly/ geared towarded beginners as many might
think:

comp.lang.java.3d 3D Graphics API's for the Java language.
comp.lang.java.advocacy Support for and criticism of the Java System.
comp.lang.java.announce Announcements re the Java System. (Moderated)
comp.lang.java.beans Java software components (JavaBeans).
comp.lang.java.corba Topics relating to Java and CORBA.
comp.lang.java.databases Databases, java.sql, JDBC, ODBC.
comp.lang.java.gui GUI toolkits and windowing: AWT, IFC etc.
*comp.lang.java.help* Set-up problems, catch-all first aid.
comp.lang.java.machine JVM, native methods, hardware.
comp.lang.java.programmer Programming in the Java language.
comp.lang.java.security Security issues raised by Java.
comp.lang.java.softwaretools IDEs, browsers, compilers, other tools.

BTW, in case you didn't know, google has now (thank goodness) stopped
archiving

comp.lang.java

which has been retired now for quite some time. I just wish there were some
stronger ng removal by fiat possible, to prevent companies like verizon from
allowing such things. They end up diverting far too many posts that really
"belong" elsewhere.

Andrew Thompson

*comp.lang.java.help* Set-up problems, catch-all first aid.

Generally why I link to my own list..
<http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#groups>
A one line description of each valid Java group, and a short
paragraph on the three most important (to me, anyway) groups:
- c.l.j.help
- c.l.j.programmer, and..
- c.l.j.gui

If anybody reckons I am wrong, I invite them to host
their own FAQ. ;-)

--
Andrew Thompson

Thomas G. Marshall

Andrew Thompson coughed up:
Generally why I link to my own list..
<http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#groups>
A one line description of each valid Java group, and a short
paragraph on the three most important (to me, anyway) groups:
- c.l.j.help
- c.l.j.programmer, and..
- c.l.j.gui

If anybody reckons I am wrong, I invite them to host
their own FAQ. ;-)

Doesn't matter, at least not to me.

The /problem/ is that there is no real way to divert the masses properly.
:) c.l.j.beginner or newbie is probably the way to go...

Joined
Feb 4, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
100% agree - person should be doing homework and not asking others to do it; but @ same time, take a look back through these responses - they are self-enflated egos. You know nothing about the guy/kid - steer him/her in the right direction, push the person to go learn properly and get off your bloody high horses. When you build the next software empire or create the next Java yourself, then you can be all high and friggin mighty!