How to dynamically insert rows into a Table control?

gnewsgroup

I am new to the asp.net Table web control. I am using it to customize
my presentation of data. I cannot implement the idea with DataGrid or
GridView.

Basically, I would like to have something like what is shown in the
following PNG image.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2183/1805431357_1facb1ed9b_o.png

I know how to dynamically add rows to the end of the table, but how do
I insert rows right after some particular row?

I guess the problem boils down to getting the current row index. How
do we get the current row index of a dynamically built Table? Thank
you.

Norman Yuan

Two ways to do that:

You can add all rows at once and show/hide those brea-down detail rows by
toggling their Visible property;

or

You can inset those break-down detail rows dynamically when needed, using
TableRowCollection.AddAt(index, TableRow).

gnewsgroup

Two ways to do that:

You can add all rows at once and show/hide those brea-down detail rows by
toggling their Visible property;

or

You can inset those break-down detail rows dynamically when needed, using
TableRowCollection.AddAt(index, TableRow).

OK, thank you. How do I get the row index when the image button is
clicked? In other words, how do I know in which row the click event
takes place?

gnewsgroup

Two ways to do that:

You can add all rows at once and show/hide those brea-down detail rows by
toggling their Visible property;

or

You can inset those break-down detail rows dynamically when needed, using
TableRowCollection.AddAt(index, TableRow).

Two ways to do that:

You can add all rows at once and show/hide those brea-down detail rows by
toggling their Visible property;

or

You can inset those break-down detail rows dynamically when needed, using
TableRowCollection.AddAt(index, TableRow).

OK, thanks again. In a GridView, we can usually get the row index of
a click event by attaching the Container.DataItemIndex to the
CommandArgument of the Button. For example,

<asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Title" >
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:Label ID="Label1" runat="server">
<%# Container.DataItemIndex + 1 %>. <%#
Eval("Title") %>
</asp:Label>
</ItemTemplate>
</asp:TemplateField>

Can we get the row index like so for a Table control?

Mansi Shah

Hi,

You can get index of currently selected row.
In below example, I have 1 Html table control,I have given it's id
value='tbl' and runat='server', so that I can use it's properties like
other control's properties.

int index=0;
for (int i = 0; i < tbl.Rows.Count; i++)
{
Button btn =
(Button)tbl.Rows.Cells[0].FindControl("btn");
if (btn != null)
{
index = i;
break;

You can use any contorl instead Button.

Regards,
Mansi Shah.

gnewsgroup

Hi,

You can get index of currently selected row.
In below example, I have 1 Html table control,I have given it's id
value='tbl' and runat='server', so that I can use it's properties like
other control's properties.

int index=0;
for (int i = 0; i < tbl.Rows.Count; i++)
{
Button btn =
(Button)tbl.Rows.Cells[0].FindControl("btn");
if (btn != null)
{
index = i;
break;

You can use any contorl instead Button.

Regards,
Mansi Shah.

*** Sent via Developersdexhttp://www.developersdex.com***

Thank you very much. I tried your code, for my ImageButton click
event, and I get an error as follows:

Multiple controls with the same ID 'imgbtn' were found. FindControl
requires that controls have unique IDs.

The problem is that everything including the ImageButton in my Table
control is dynamically constructed in the code-behind. So, I don't
know the ID of the ImageButton.

Any other idea about how to get the row index of the clicked row in a
Table control? Thanks.

gnewsgroup

[...]

By the way, this is how I construct the table:

foreach (DataRow dr in dt.Rows)
{
TableCell tc0 = new TableCell();
TableCell tc1 = new TableCell();
TableCell tc2 = new TableCell();
TableCell tc3 = new TableCell();

ImageButton ib = new ImageButton();
ib.ImageUrl = "~/Images/plus.GIF";
ib.Click += new
ImageClickEventHandler(ib_Click);

tc0.Controls.Add(ib);
tc1.Text = dr["Year"].ToString();
tc2.Text = dr["Import Total"].ToString();
tc3.Text = dr["Export Total"].ToString();

TableRow tr = new TableRow();
tr.Cells.Add(tc0);
tr.Cells.Add(tc1);
tr.Cells.Add(tc2);