How to find a file on client?

Polaris

Hi Experts:

Is there an ASP.NET API to find a file on CLIENT machine? I'm using asp.net
2.0.

Thanks in Advance!
Polaris

John Timney \(MVP\)

To do that you would have to be running something client side - like an
activeX with appropriate permissions to access the file ssytem from within a
browser, and asp.net is a server side technology with no access to the
client other than to accept a request from it to process something,a nd send
a response. The reponse would need to contain an activeX (or something
else) for the browser to activate it.

Regards

John Timney (MVP)
http://www.johntimney.com
http://www.johntimney.com/blog

Eliyahu Goldin

There is a technology to achieve this. It is WSH - Windows Scripting Host.
It has nothing to do with asp.net. Your client will have to customize his
security setting to allow it.

Mark Rae

Is there an ASP.NET API to find a file on CLIENT machine? I'm using
asp.net 2.0.

To add to what Peter, John and Eliyahu have said, an ActiveX solution is
technically feasible but will need very careful planning, and will only ever
be of any use in a controlled internal environment such as a corporate
intranet where you can manage both the client browser and the local security
settings.

If this is for a public website, you have next to no chance! For one thing,
an ActiveX solution will only be viable for Internet Explorer (you *could*
think about a Java applet instead), but can you imagine how you would feel
if you visited a website which popped up a message saying "Just a second
while we download and install a utility which will scan your hard
drives."... :)

bruce barker

java applets run in a sandbox, and will not allow this either. .net
components also run in sandbox and prevent this, but with the cas
utility the user could allow it.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)