How to get LDAP server?

william

HI,

I'm new in LDAP. I want to use LDAP server to do authentication and
authorization for our .NET web applications. My question are:
1. Where can I get microsoft LDAP server(service?)? Not ADAM.
2. Can I install it on win XP?
3. Can I install multiple instance of LDAP server on one machine? How?

Thanks.
William

Henning Krause [MVP - Exchange]

Hello William,

Microsofts LDAP Server is Active Directory. If you create a domain on a
Windows server, you get Active Directory and with it the LDAP services.

ADAM is a lightweight version of Active Directory. And it's the only option
if you want to install in on XP.

Active Directory won't allow you to install multiple instances on a single
computer. ADAM allows this.

A Windows XP computer can only be joined to a domain, and thus can't be the
LDAP server itself.

Kind regards,
Henning Krause

william

Hi Henning,
Very clear.

Thanks.
William

Henning Krause said:
Hello William,

Microsofts LDAP Server is Active Directory. If you create a domain on a
Windows server, you get Active Directory and with it the LDAP services.

ADAM is a lightweight version of Active Directory. And it's the only option
if you want to install in on XP.

Active Directory won't allow you to install multiple instances on a single
computer. ADAM allows this.

A Windows XP computer can only be joined to a domain, and thus can't be the
LDAP server itself.

Kind regards,
Henning Krause

william

Hi Henning,

Just wander How the ADAM is.
Will it be fully supported by microsoft in the future?
Are there a lot of systems using it?
The reason I'm asking these questions is because one of my architect said no
customer using it on production, and it will be out of MS list soon.

Thanks.
William

Joe Kaplan

Your architect has no idea what he is talking about. ADAM (now Active
Directory Lightweight Domain Services; AD/LDS) is used extensively and is
fully supported by Microsoft. It is now a standard server role in Windows
Server 2008.

Did he just make that statement up? What info is that based on?

Joe K.

william

Hi Joe,

Thanks a lot.

Joe Kaplan said:
Your architect has no idea what he is talking about. ADAM (now Active
Directory Lightweight Domain Services; AD/LDS) is used extensively and is
fully supported by Microsoft. It is now a standard server role in Windows
Server 2008.

Did he just make that statement up? What info is that based on?

Joe K.

http://www.directoryprogramming.net

william

Thanks a lot.