how to get to file in intranet using WebClient. simple ?!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Vasko Peter, Aug 13, 2004.

  1. Vasko Peter

    Vasko Peter Guest

    Hi All,

    I am breaking my head on one problem. I'd like to read a file that is on a
    different machine in intranet. The tricky part is that I do not want to
    allow an access for EVERYONE but want to minimise it for my machine only.

    My Idea was to access the test.txt file as a user (MYUSERNAME) with my
    password. I can access the file via file browser but if I do it in ASP.NET
    Web application I get an access denied error.

    The code is:

    WebClient webClient = new WebClient();
    string username = "MYMACHINENAME\\MYUSERNAME";
    string password = "MYPASSWORD";
    string domain = "MYDOMAIN";
    webClient.Credentials = new
    System.Net.NetworkCredential(username,password,domain);
    binFile = webClient.DownloadData("\\\\FRIENDSCOMPUTER\\Test\\test.txt");
    if (binFile.Length == 0) return null;
    MemoryStream memStream = new MemoryStream(binFile);

    I would be really thankful if you could point me to a solution.

    Thanks a lot

    p.

    Vasko Peter, Aug 13, 2004