How to make a card counter in online games?

casual_brouser

I'm actually not interested in making a card counter, but I AM
interested in crafting a utility to assist me and others who are
visually impaired in some of the online game rooms that use java
applets.

Can anyone tell me the technique I need to use to "intercept" or
"detect" what cards and/or puzzle pieces and/or text is coming outr of
the game room so I can manipulate it to make it easier to view?

I'm an experienced software developer with no experience (yet) in Java.

Thanks Much!

Roedy Green

Can anyone tell me the technique I need to use to "intercept" or
"detect" what cards and/or puzzle pieces and/or text is coming outr of
the game room so I can manipulate it to make it easier to view?

You need a packet sniffer to watch the traffic. You then need to mimic
those messages. Presumably the gamesters do various things to make
that difficult like change the rules from time to time.

Chris Smith

I'm actually not interested in making a card counter, but I AM
interested in crafting a utility to assist me and others who are
visually impaired in some of the online game rooms that use java
applets.

Can anyone tell me the technique I need to use to "intercept" or
"detect" what cards and/or puzzle pieces and/or text is coming outr of
the game room so I can manipulate it to make it easier to view?

I'm an experienced software developer with no experience (yet) in Java.

What you're looking for is informally known as screen-scraping. It is a
constant game of guess-work that relies on things staying the same.
It's tough enough when the site is agreeable toward its happening.
Online gaming sites are quite likely to be actively trying to prevent
it, which will make screen scraping quite challenging indeed.

The sheer difficulty of reliable screen-scraping was a driving force
behind the advent of more machine-friendly formats such as XML on the
web... but of course, that doesn't help you at all.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Patricia Shanahan

I'm actually not interested in making a card counter, but I AM
interested in crafting a utility to assist me and others who are
visually impaired in some of the online game rooms that use java
applets.

Can anyone tell me the technique I need to use to "intercept" or
"detect" what cards and/or puzzle pieces and/or text is coming outr of
the game room so I can manipulate it to make it easier to view?

I'm an experienced software developer with no experience (yet) in Java.

Thanks Much!

Intercepting and detecting may be difficult. Have you considered
alternative such as implementing a "look-and-feel" or a display library
that meets your needs?

You may have better luck getting online game rooms to support a
visually-impaired-friendly interface than to tolerate anything that
would allow automatic play.

Patricia