how to make webservice calls in a batch

ranga

Does WebService support calling methods in a batch. I have the following
two scenarios:

case1 : say i need to call two webservice methods that do an insert and
update respectively on a database. How do i enclose the 2 calls in a
batch/transaction

case2: say the 2 methods that i want to call in a batch are "get" type of
methods - ie one returns a string and another returns a byte array. But i
want to protect my client agains the risk that one of the methods or both may
not return due to service outage?. How do i handle this situation ?. Do i
need to investigate the exception in each method ?

thanks
ranga

Dilip Krishnan

Hello ranga,

You would need to either use a web service stack that implements WS-Transaction
[http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnglobspec/html/ws-transaction.asp].
The quick and dirty is to use the transaction Option (uses enterprise services).
You could also think of enclosing both operations in one web method and that
would protect the client against the risks of either method from failing

HTH
Regards,
Dilip Krishnan
MCAD, MCSD.net
dkrishnan at geniant dot com
http://www.geniant.com

ranga

How can i use the quick and dirty option that you mention if i don't have
control
over the webservice ? i.e i am not the developer of the webservice ?

regards
ranga