How to move directory ( with contents) to another directory.

Discussion in 'Java' started by mike, Mar 14, 2008.

  1. mike

    mike Guest

    I am trying to move a directory ( and it's contents to a new
    directory). I have tried the following:

    System.out.println(nonCCResource.getLocation().toString());
    tmpDir = new File (nonCCResource.getParent().getLocation().toString(),
    nonCCResource.getName()+".tmp");
    boolean success = tmpDir.mkdirs();
    File dir = new
    File(nonCCResource.getParent().getLocation().toString(),
    nonCCResource.getName());
    boolean success1 = dir.renameTo(tmpDir);

    When checking success1 it is false. And the success is true.

    Any ideas how I can do this.

    cheers,

    //mike

    mike, Mar 14, 2008

  2. My guess would be that Java (or the OS) will
    not allow us to rename a directory to the name
    of an existing directory.

    Post runnable code and I might check further.

    Andrew Thompson, Mar 14, 2008

  3. mike

    Roedy Green Guest

    You can't rename a directory to move it to a different drive. You
    must have permissions on it to rename it.

    To move it to a different drive, you have to create a new dir, copy
    the files over, and then delete the original files and directory.

    If you want help from others, simplify your code to use hard coded
    strings or at least do println of each of your files so people can
    what the net result of your calls is.

    Roedy Green, Mar 15, 2008