how to ncurses on win32 platform

Jorgen Grahn

You can use ncurses via cygwin.
There are DOS ports too but I couldn't get any of them to
work on my XP box, YMMV...

Or, as Alex Martelli wrote in "Python in a nutshell":

"The curses package works only on Unix-like platforms (there are persis-
tent rumors of Windows ports of it, but I've never found a working one)."

/Jorgen

Josef Meile

Hi Brane,

I was wondering about the same thing some days
ago. I found the following alternatives:

* Curses for Windows for Python (It was previously
mentioned on a follow-up. there are some missing
features):
http://flangy.com/dev/python/curses/

* PDCurses (It looks promissing):
http://pdcurses.sourceforge.net/

* The Console Module:
http://www.effbot.org/zone/console-handbook.htm

* Windows CONsole I/O for Python:
http://newcenturycomputers.net/projects/wconio.html

Please note that I haven't tested any of the mentioned
packages, so, I don't know if they are really a good
replacement for ncurses, so, it's up-to-you to test
them.

Regards,
Josef

adam.vandenberg

* Curses for Windows for Python (It was previously
mentioned on a follow-up. there are some missing
features):
http://flangy.com/dev/python/curses/

I've posted an update to this module (better color support, half delay
input, some other stuff) and the source code, in case anyone wants to
try it on Python 2.4 or tinker with it.