How to open new window, postback, redirect

Chuck Ritzke

Hi,

I posted this previously, but it seems to have been dropped off the list
with no answer, so I thought I'd post it one more time...

I think I've figured out how to do what I need, but when learning new stuff,
there is always a nagging feeling that it is not the *right* way.

What I really want is to have a page with a link that pops-up a new window
(with javascript on the client side obviously), then postbacks to the server
to do some stuff, sets a few session variables, and then re-directs to a new
page that uses the session variables and populates the new window.

It appears from what I've tried and have been reading here and elsewhere
that it may not be directly possible to postback with a new window. It seems
that when you target a new window, the postback gets cancelled. I think this
alternative will work, but it seems kind of roundabout...

I can have the original page postback and do it's stuff, set the variables I
need and, upon return, I figure I could add javascript that runs after the
returning page loads to popup the new window and request my second page
(which reads the session variables and then does it's thing).

Is that the way to go about this or is there a much better way?

TIA,
Chuck