How to persist the data?

Niel Mogan

As part of my application flow when the user opt to view existing record
while editing a different record I need to keep track of half edited data in
the screen.

I am thinking of different scenarios for this.

Put the being edited data as temp data in the database.

Store these in session variables.

Store this data as flat file.

So when the user comes back to the being edited data I can restore from the
above data store locations.

1. My question is how to store the data into flat file and restore it back.

2. Anybody has any other solutions for this?

I am using ASP.Net,Vb.Net, IE 5.5 ans .Net Framework 1.1.

Thanks,

Mogan

Guest

I would not use flat file for this. XML would be a better choice. If you
load this data into a dataset , remember the dataset object has a writeXml()
and a readXml() methods which can read and write xml from the filesystem.
Also, the dataset object has a method called GetChanges() which returns a
dataset of all the changes that were made from the original dataset. So, I
would think something like this could be worth taking a look at, if this
provided some answers to your question