How to pop-up a MS-OE "new message" window from whitin my application

Marc Van Laer

Hi all,

In my application, i'm trying to pop-up a "new message" window from Outlook
Express.
I've succeeded in opening the Outlook Express executable by using
"runtime.exec( )" but i'd rather only open a "new message" window without
having the OE-environment running.

How can i execute a windows command like "mailto:" from my java application?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Van Laer M.

fg

In my application, i'm trying to pop-up a "new message" window from
Outlook
Express.
I've succeeded in opening the Outlook Express executable by using
"runtime.exec( )" but i'd rather only open a "new message" window without
having the OE-environment running.

How can i execute a windows command like "mailto:" from my java
application?

Use runtime.exec(), and launch "start mailto:[email protected]"
you can even put the parameter : start mailto:[email protected]?subject="my
subject"

So, run :
runtime.exec(new String[]{"start", mailto:[email protected]});
Thanks in advance.

You're welcome

Fred.

Marc Van Laer

After trying Fred's solution
(which i unfortunately didn't get to run on my system,
but nevertheless i would like to thank Fred),
i've found the following solution for my problem:

String toMail = "me(at-sign)home.be";
Runtime.getRuntime().exec("rundll32.exe url.dll,FileProtocolHandler mailto:"
+ toMail);

be sure to replace "(at-sign)" by @

All the best,
Van Laer Marc