How to rewrite urls without having access to IIS MMC

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Max2006, Nov 6, 2006.

  1. Max2006

    Max2006 Guest

    Max2006, Nov 6, 2006

  2. Max2006

    philwilks Guest

    Hi Max,

    Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think it's going to be possible to do this
    exactly as you want. The main problem is that files with extensions
    like .jpeg or .gif are not handled by the ASP.Net engine. In other
    words, the ASP.Net part of the server won't have any idea that a
    request for one of these pages has been made.

    If you had your own server, you could change this behavior and have
    requests for .jpeg files handled by ASP.Net. However, I seriously doubt
    that your hosting provider would be willing to set this up.

    The next best option is to use a "custom HTTP handler", which is a
    special ASP.Net page with the extension .ashx. In fact, your
    ImageHandler.aspx page should really be a .ashx page, but you'll
    probably get away with doing it either way.

    I highly recommend using www.urlrewriting.net to do the re-writing.
    ASP.Net 2.0 does allow you to do some basic re-writing, but it doesn't
    let you use regular expressions or wildcards so you'd have to write a
    separate rule for every single image file. Once you've downloaded
    UrlRewritingNet, you'll be able to re-write URLs with a certain "shape"
    just as you want.

    However, what you MUST remember is that you can't re-write .jpeg files
    without getting access to the IIS MMC. Instead, you'll need to re-write
    files that match "/blah.ashx" to "/images/ImageHandler.ashx?n=blah". In
    your web.config, this means having something like this for the
    UrlRewritingNet configuration...

    <urlrewritingnet rewriteOnlyVirtualUrls="true" compileRegex="true"
    xmlns="http://www.urlrewriting.net/schemas/config/2006/02" >
    <rewrites>
    <add virtualUrl="^~/(.*).ashx"
    destinationUrl="~/images/ImageHandler.ashx?n=$1" />
    </rewrites>
    </urlrewritingnet>

    I hope this helps! Once you get it working it's great.

    Phil

    philwilks, Nov 6, 2006

  3. Hi Max,

    I'm afraid that's not possible to rewrite a path ended with an extension
    that is not mapped to ASP.NET engine in IIS. If you take a look at an
    ASP.NET web site's "Application Settings" in its IIS property page (click
    on "Configuration" button to see the Application Mappings), you will see
    extensions such as .aspx, .config are mapped to use aspnet_isapi.dll. For
    extensions are not mapped, IIS will serve them directly. Since you're
    asking how to rewrite the path of a .jpeg file, which is normally not
    mapped, I think it cannot be done.

    For extensions do mapped to ASP.NET, you can find a URL rewriter
    implementation here:

    #URL Rewriting with ASP.NET - The Code Project - ASP.NET
    http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/URLRewriter.asp
    Demonstrates the use of regular expression-based URL Rewriting, similar to
    mod_rewrite with ASP.NET

    Sincerely,
    Walter Wang (, remove 'online.')
    Microsoft Online Community Support