how to stop google from messing Python code

Just

"Xah Lee said:
i'm using groups-beta.google.com to post python code.

Is there a way to stop google from messing with my format? it seems to
have eaten the spaces in my python code.

It does that when you cross-post.

Just

Terry Reedy

Xah Lee said:
i'm using groups-beta.google.com to post python code.

Is there a way to stop google from messing with my format? it seems to
have eaten the spaces in my python code.
thanks.

1. don't post, or
2. don't use google to post -- there is no real excuse for doing so.

Just about every computer comes with a newsreader. Get a free account with
news.gmane.org and read/post gmane.comp.python.

Terry J. Reedy

Xah Lee

gmane is great! its renaming of newsgroups is quite a headache.
i found that comp.lang.python corresponds to gmane.comp.python.general.
do you know which one corresponds to comp.lang.perl.misc?
there's no .misc or .general...

--
i thought there a strick like preceding a line by -- or something that
prevents google from reformating the post.

Fuzzyman

Xah said:
gmane is great! its renaming of newsgroups is quite a headache.
i found that comp.lang.python corresponds to gmane.comp.python.general.
do you know which one corresponds to comp.lang.perl.misc?
there's no .misc or .general...

--
i thought there a strick like preceding a line by -- or something that
prevents google from reformating the post.
Xah
(e-mail address removed)
http://xahlee.org/PageTwo_dir/more.html

I guess that most people use google to post to newsgroups is that they
don't have nntp access. Telling htem to use a newsreader is facetious
and unhelpful.

Google strips leading whitespace. Putting *anything* before indentation
stops the formatting getting messed up. It doesn't stop long lines
being wrapped of course.
Regards,

Fuzzy

Terry Reedy

I guess that most people use google to post to newsgroups is that they
don't have nntp access.

Anyone with a normal internet connection has nntp access. What some do not
get from their ISP is 'free' access to a full newsite, and they may not
feel like paying extra $$ to one when they can get free access to
non-binary groups via Google that is better in regards to retention and
search, Google just happens to not work well for posting Python code. What
most of those people may not know is that there is free access to a
restricted news site (gmane) which mirrors a large number of mailing lists,
one of which is the Python mailing list, which mirrors the Python
newsgroup. So I help them by giving them this information. Xah Lee used
the information I shared, as have many other people, and even, in effect,
thanked me for doing so. Gmane also gives a Pythoneer easy access to about
50 specialized Python-related mailing lists (and 1000s not related to
Python).
Telling htem to use a newsreader is facetious and unhelpful.

Telling someone to stop sharing sharing useful information is nasty and
unhelpful. You owe me an apology.

Terry J. Reedy

Fredrik Lundh

Fuzzyman said:
I guess that most people use google to post to newsgroups is that they
don't have nntp access. Telling htem to use a newsreader is facetious
and unhelpful.

if you have internet access, you have NNTP access. gmane.org provides access
to more than 6,500 mailing lists via NNTP, including all relevant Python forums.

</F>

Aahz

Most people use Gooja to post because they're lazy.
if you have internet access, you have NNTP access. gmane.org provides
access to more than 6,500 mailing lists via NNTP, including all
relevant Python forums.

You also have access to the free netnews server http://news.cis.dfn.de/

Fredrik Lundh

Fuzzyman said:
Not if you're behind a censoring proxy that blocks everything except
http. This is a situation many people find themselves in.

If you have HTTP-only access, you don't have Internet access. But even if you
have HTTP-only access, you can use gmane's various web interfaces. (Had you
visited the site, you'd known this already)

</F>