How to tell Script to use pythonw.exe ?

Chris Angelico

From an MSDN page linked in one of the answers:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/powershell/archive/2008/09/30/powershell-s-security-guiding-principles.aspx

If an attacker can run code, he/she already has the capability to well, run code.

Well, the whole point of sandboxing is to allow some code and not
other - look at web browser scripts. You can run your JavaScript code
on someone else's machine without the capability to run arbitrary
code.

What this proves is that PowerShell is not a sandboxing environment.
It has just two states: Trusted and untrusted. Untrusted code may not
run. Trusted code has full access as though the administrator typed
the commands by hand.

Unix has measures to prevent a running process from having full
control over the system, but even there, privilege escalation attacks
(usually involving some application that runs as root) have been
known. Restricting a running binary (as opposed to creating an
interpreted and very slow language) is a distinctly hard problem.

ChrisA

cube345

Hi,

I want to run a .py file script using pythonw.exe so the DOS box will not open. Is there a way from inside the script to say "run me with pythonw.exe and not python.exe"?

Thanks