How to troubleshoot HTTP 404

StanB

It sounds simple but I am stuck:

I published ASP.NET to the brand new Win2003 R2 through Publish Web in
VS.NET.
Publish creates virtual folder (Front Page Server extension subweb) and
copies all files.
When I try to locally browse default.aspx I get HTTP 404 File Not Found. I
can browse .gif or .htm but
not ASPX.

Check permissions, recalculated Front Page Server extensions. I am local
admin on machine.

Tried aspnet_regiis, no luck.

What exactly it cannot find? Page is there..

Don't know where else to look...

Juan T. Llibre

Did you enable ASP.NET on the R2 ?

Either run aspnet_regiis -enable, or

1. open the IIS Manager
2. scroll down to "Web Service Extensions" on the left-hand panel
3. select the version of ASP.NET you want to enable on the right-hand panel
4. hit the "Allow" button

Now, test your page again.

StanB

Just figured it out - Web Server Extensions for ASP.NET were prohibited. I
would love to get an error message and not HTTP 404..

Juan T. Llibre

Yup.

I just posted the answer for you, about 4 minutes
before your post reporting you found the answer.

;-)