How to troubleshoot whether Java is running out on some resource

zigzagdna

I am using JDK 1.6 on HP UNIX 11i. I developed a program which uses
lot of JDBC calls to an Oracle database. My program processes some
records from a file write information to Oracle. But after sometime it
gives some Java SQL Exception: Numeric Overflow. However, there is no
Oracle error given.

When I delete the rows from the file which were successful in 1st run;
then run the program again; it does not give any error for the rows it
was erroring earlier. Then after processing some rows it gives same
Numerical Exception error.
I was pretty sure that Numerical Overflow Exception is misleading;
something else is going on.

I ran the program on another machine with same Java version, same
memory parameters in java command line and my program works fine,

I looked in /var/admin/syslog.. on first machine; could not find
anything. Clearly, java is running out of some resource on 1st
machine; how can I troubleshoot this problem.

THANKS A LOT.

Tom Anderson

[...]

Check the Oracle logs - is Oracle running on the same machine as the java
app?

Check that the two machines have the same version of the Oracle driver,
and are using the same JDBC URL. This smells like a driver bug to me.

tom