How to write packets on ethernet card..

Stalin Thangaraj

Hi all,
I want to write raw packets over the Ethernet card. I don't
how to do it in ruby. If anybody knows help me..

Gregory Brown

Hi all,
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0I want to write raw packets over the Ethernet card. I = don't
how to do it in ruby. If anybody knows help me..

http://tinyurl.com/cb9p7z

When you have more specific questions, and have researched this a
little and can show what you have tried so far, post back and I'm sure
folks will help you.

-greg

--=20
Technical Blaag at: http://blog.majesticseacreature.com
Non-tech stuff at: http://metametta.blogspot.com
"Ruby Best Practices" Book now in O'Reilly Roughcuts:
http://rubybestpractices.com

Brian Candler

Stalin said:
I want to write raw packets over the Ethernet card. I don't
how to do it in ruby. If anybody knows help me..

First find out how to do it in C using the Unix sockets API. Suggested
resource is "Unix Network Programming volume 1" by Richard Stevens, pub
Addison Wesley. Or you can find existing code which sends raw packets
and reverse-engineer that. Ask questions on a kernel/networking mailing
list if you have problems.

Once you know this, you can translate easily to Ruby, since ruby's
Socket is a thin layer on top of this.

Google "ruby socket" and the first hit is the socket documentation. Also
look in the sockets documentation at
http://www.ruby-doc.org/books/ProgrammingRuby (click on "Network and Web
Libraries")

Eleanor McHugh

First find out how to do it in C using the Unix sockets API. Suggested
resource is "Unix Network Programming volume 1" by Richard Stevens,
pub
Addison Wesley. Or you can find existing code which sends raw packets
and reverse-engineer that. Ask questions on a kernel/networking
mailing
list if you have problems.

Once you know this, you can translate easily to Ruby, since ruby's
Socket is a thin layer on top of this.

Google "ruby socket" and the first hit is the socket documentation.
Also
look in the sockets documentation at
http://www.ruby-doc.org/books/ProgrammingRuby (click on "Network and
Web
Libraries")

Follow the link in my sig and you'll find some presentations bursting
with code for UDP and TCP network comms. These aren't raw packets in
the fullest sense of the term but depending on your intent they may
suffice.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains