How to write to Firefox's JavaScript console?

kj

How can a script send (non-fatal) warnings and other such messages
to Firefox's JavaScript console?

Thanks!

kj

Noah Sussman

kj said:
How can a script send (non-fatal) warnings and other such messages
to Firefox's JavaScript console?

I suggest you install the Firebug extension for Firefox:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1843/

Once you install, the Firefox javascript console replaces the built-in
javascript console. Then you can write to the Firebug console using
this syntax:
console.debug("hello world");
or to print the values of variables foo, bar and baz, you can use
printf syntax:
console.debug("First value is %s, second is %
s and the last is %s", foo, bar, baz);

The documentation for Firebug can be found here:
http://www.getfirebug.com/docs.html

Firebug has a rich debugging syntax, but also a JavaScript debugger(!)
and a DOM inspector.
I've found it to be a wildly useful development tool.

If you're interested in all that as well, here are a couple of links:
http://encytemedia.com/blog/article...e-future-of-javascript-debugging-with-firebug
http://www.digitalmediaminute.com/screencast/firebug-js/

kj

Many thanks!