How would you implement graphics in ASP.NET?

John Heitmuller.

Hi, I looking for some conceptual guidance. For my own self education
I want to replicate the following web page as an ASP.NET web page.

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~harrison/Java/sorting-demo.html

This page has a java applet that graphically depicts each sorting
algorithm in action. I have never done any kind of graphics
programming with ASP.NET. Obviously, the graphic control that
“animates” the sort algorithm is something that will have to run on
the client side.

Can anybody offer any direction on how you would approach this in an
ASP.NET application?

Thanks,
John

Lloyd Sheen

Hi, I looking for some conceptual guidance. For my own self education
I want to replicate the following web page as an ASP.NET web page.

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~harrison/Java/sorting-demo.html

This page has a java applet that graphically depicts each sorting
algorithm in action. I have never done any kind of graphics
programming with ASP.NET. Obviously, the graphic control that
“animates” the sort algorithm is something that will have to run on
the client side.

Can anybody offer any direction on how you would approach this in an
ASP.NET application?

Thanks,
John

Since all the work is done on the client side ASP.NET can be used for
creating the HTML for the page but the client side work will be done in
either Javascript or a Java applet.

LS

sloan

You might be interested in Silverlight.

Silverlight ( 2 and beyond ) allows C# code to be executed in the browser.

www.silverlight.net
silverlight is a downloadable plugin, kinda like flash, kinda like a java
plugin.

Asp.Net can create graphics and save them on the webserver or stream to the
client.
But it doesn't do clientside processing.

At the end of the day, asp.net is just a super cool and fancy
html/javascript creator .... that gets sent to the client.
Its a great html creator, but that's all it can do at the end of the day.

Hi, I looking for some conceptual guidance. For my own self education
I want to replicate the following web page as an ASP.NET web page.

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~harrison/Java/sorting-demo.html

This page has a java applet that graphically depicts each sorting
algorithm in action. I have never done any kind of graphics
programming with ASP.NET. Obviously, the graphic control that
“animates” the sort algorithm is something that will have to run on
the client side.

Can anybody offer any direction on how you would approach this in an
ASP.NET application?

Thanks,
John

bruce barker

you don't really. asp.net can produce and image, but not interactive in
the browser. the simple graphics in your example can be done with
javascript, and simple dom. if you use a webkit based browser (safari or
chrome) you will actually get a full graphic panel with features similar
to the java one. java code ca easily be converted to javascript.

coonverting the java sort routines to javascript woudl be a good way to
learn javascript the browser client language.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)