howto: identify a mobile phone user

Mitja Semolic

Is there a standard or operator independent way to identify a mobile phone
or a mobile SIM card. I am surprised to learn that there is no such thing,
or I am a wrong?

Wireless environments should be designed to minimize user input. Entering
authentication information, every time using a service does not make sense.
Even more knowing that PKI is available on the SIM card.

Any comments?
TIA, Mitja Semolic

Michal A. Valasek

| Is there a standard or operator independent way to identify a mobile phone
| or a mobile SIM card.

When you use your own WAP gateway, you can get user phone number. If your
application is going trough standard HTTP and gateway of operator, then it
depends on operator, what information he would provide you. Generally
provides nothing.