HTML popup date picker for input forms

C. Smith

I am a web developer building html data entry forms that have a lot of date input fields (month, date, year) on them. I'd like to have a "popup" calendar that allows the user to pick the date using a graphical calendar interface. For example, the popup would show an entire month of dates and allow the user to scroll to different months/years, and finally double click on a date. The popup then closes and the date is returned (probably as a string) to the parent html page. Preferrably, 1) the source code for this popup is available, and 2) it is an Applet written in Java

Michael Winter

I am a web developer building html data entry forms that have a lot of
date input fields (month, date, year) on them. I'd like to have a
"popup" calendar that allows the user to pick the date using a graphical
calendar interface. For example, the popup would show an entire month
of dates and allow the user to scroll to different months/years, and
finally double click on a date. The popup then closes and the date is
returned (probably as a string) to the parent html page. Preferrably,
1) the source code for this popup is available, and 2) it is an Applet
written in Java

If you want an applet written in Java, why are you posting to a JavaScript
group?

Mike

Matt Kruse

C. Smith said:
I am a web developer building html data entry forms that have a lot of date
input fields (month, date, year) on them. I'd like to have a "popup" calendar
that allows the user to pick the date using a graphical calendar interface.

Assuming you actually want a javascript solution, not a java solution (they
aren't the same thing) then you can find mine at
http://www.mattkruse.com/javascript/calendarpopup/

There are plenty of others out there - some are really bad and should be
avoided, some are very ingenious. It all depends on exactly what you're
looking for :)

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <n9%[email protected]>, seen in
C. Smith <[email protected]> posted at Sun,
4 Apr 2004 21:32:03 :

Please set a margin of about 72 characters when posting; it is the
Usenet norm.

I am a web developer building html data entry forms that have a lot of date
input fields (month, date, year) on them.

Obviously a foreigner. Most countries use Y M D or D M Y; Y M D is an
International, and even Federal, standard.
I'd like to have a "popup" calendar
that allows the user to pick the date using a graphical calendar interface. For
example, the popup would show an entire month of dates and allow the user to
scroll to different months/years, and finally double click on a date. The popup
then closes and the date is returned (probably as a string) to the parent html
page.

It sounds very slow and tiresome to use in comparison with just typing
Preferrably, 1) the source code for this popup is available, and 2) it is
an Applet written in Java

Ideally, a Web developer would understand the difference between Java
and Javascript; and have a spelling-checker.

Matt Kruse

Dr John Stockton said:
Obviously a foreigner. Most countries use Y M D or D M Y; Y M D is an
International, and even Federal, standard.

Who cares what most countries use?
Was the poster asking for advice about date formats? I didn't think so.
It sounds very slow and tiresome to use in comparison with just typing
the date as YYYY-MM-DD or YYYY<tab>MM<tab>DD.

Slow and tiresome for you, maybe. Others like to pick a date without having
to take their hands off the mouse to use the keyboard.
Ideally, a Web developer would understand the difference between Java
and Javascript; and have a spelling-checker.

Ideally, posters to this group shouldn't be condescending assholes, either,
but that doesn't stop you!

Have a nice day!

Chris Gutierrez

Matt Kruse said:
Ideally, posters to this group shouldn't be condescending assholes, either,
but that doesn't stop you!

I totally agree.

Incidentally, I just stumbled on this discussion, thanks Matt for your
most excellent Javascript Calendar. I'm using it here at work and I
must say it's fantastic. It's about to save me a lot of time and help
me make a deadline.

Cheers,

Chris Gutierrez
email: gcgutier (at) hotmail (dot) com