    Is there a public domain tool I could use to see the full request and response? And see the request and response info for when the css and/or javascript are accessed?

    Here's the scenario: I'm trying to write a simple gateway that will allow me to host a web page in a SharePoint web part. This will replace an existing gateway that is proxying the requests now. For basic anchor tags, replacing the href is simple, but I need to understand how the other resources are accessed to see how I can handle those types of requests.

    Any insight here is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    Guest, Nov 27, 2006

  2. it depends on the element type. for javascript and css, the parse of the page is stalled the refrences are fetched and read, then parsing continues. for image, object, etc, the downloads are queued and parsing continues. note these will be seperate requests.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    If there is a better forum in which to post this question, please let me know...

    I need to know how the src and href attributes are handled in html such as the following:

    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://server.company.com/bulletins/dashboard/js/dashboard.js"></script>
    <link type="text/css" href="http://server.company.com/bulletins/common/css/common.css" rel="StyleSheet" lang="en" ></link>

    Are these resources loaded at the same time as the rest of the page? Are they only loaded when they are requested? (I imagine the css is needed immediately, but the javascript might not be needed untila specfic user interaction.)

    bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\), Nov 27, 2006

    Guest Guest

    So, if the original request required a custom http header with, say, a user name, would the subsequent javascript and css requests require that same header, do you think?

    Can you recommend a tool that would allow me to trace the http requests through the existing gateway to the back-end portlet?

    Thanks.

    Guest, Nov 27, 2006
  4. Hi,

    I think that will depend on the server that handles the request.

    I suggest you use Fiddler to inspect the http request:

    #Fiddler HTTP Debugger - Configuring clients
    http://www.fiddlertool.com/Fiddler/help/hookup.asp
    Important: Regardless of other settings, .NET will always bypass the
    Fiddler proxy for URLs containing localhost. So, rather than using
    localhost, change your code to refer to the machine name.

    Sincerely,
    Walter Wang (, remove 'online.')
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    promptly.