I have difficulty in starting Eclipse

charles

I am new to Eclipse. Just downloaded the installation package and want
to start Eclipse for the first time.

I got a "Incompatible_JVM" message saying: "Version 1.3.1_01 of the JVM
is not suitable for this product. Version: 1.4.1 or greater is
required".

On my PC (using XP Professional) there was JDK1.4. I uninstalled it.
Also I ran unmsjvm.exe to uninstall MS java virtual machine, then
reboot. I got the same message.

I installed JDK1.5, then added C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\lib to
CLASSPATH and \bin to PATH. Got the same error when run Eclipse.

Please help. Thank you in advance.

Charles
7/25

Frank Langelage

charles said:
I am new to Eclipse. Just downloaded the installation package and want
to start Eclipse for the first time.

I got a "Incompatible_JVM" message saying: "Version 1.3.1_01 of the JVM
is not suitable for this product. Version: 1.4.1 or greater is
required".

On my PC (using XP Professional) there was JDK1.4. I uninstalled it.
Also I ran unmsjvm.exe to uninstall MS java virtual machine, then
reboot. I got the same message.

I installed JDK1.5, then added C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\lib to
CLASSPATH and \bin to PATH. Got the same error when run Eclipse.

Please help. Thank you in advance.

Charles
7/25

Don't rely on env vars. Start eclipse with option
-vm "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\java"

chuanhongzuo

charles said:
I am new to Eclipse. Just downloaded the installation package and want
to start Eclipse for the first time.

I got a "Incompatible_JVM" message saying: "Version 1.3.1_01 of the JVM
is not suitable for this product. Version: 1.4.1 or greater is
required".

On my PC (using XP Professional) there was JDK1.4. I uninstalled it.
Also I ran unmsjvm.exe to uninstall MS java virtual machine, then
reboot. I got the same message.

I installed JDK1.5, then added C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\lib to
CLASSPATH and \bin to PATH. Got the same error when run Eclipse.

Please help. Thank you in advance.

Charles
7/25

if you had install oracle of other software ?
these software will change you PATH
check the PATH in your OS
and then put your jdk path info in front of all

charles

Thank you, Frank! Your idea did work.

Thank you, Mr. Zuo! I moved this portion to the front of the Websphere
portion (which uses 1.3.1_01) and the problem disappeared.

Joined
May 23, 2007
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Simple solution

If the path correction doesn't work, use the -vm option or:

Copy and paste the lastest version of JRE from your C:\program files\jre...
to the eclipse folder and rename it as "JRE" and it should work.

Rmbr to remove the underscore characters in the JRe folder name in eclipse folder.

-gansvv