I need to be amused on the perldocs that ship with Perl.

grocery_stocker

Okay, so like my manager is cutting our department hours so he can get
his end of the year bonus. As
a result of this, I've had a bit more free time than normal.

Anyhow, the perldocs that came with my Perl distro has a lot of bs
written on closures. However, I haven't seen any kind of actual use of
closures in the standard mods. All I've seen are some mods generated
using h2xs, some mods that abuse AUTOLOAD, but mostly I've seen a lot
that make heavy use of the Symbol mod. I really forgot where this was
going. Anyone care to enlighten me on this?

John Bokma

grocery_stocker said:
Anyhow, the perldocs that came with my Perl distro has a lot of bs
written on closures.

You're free to contribute better documentation. But so far you sound like
a Xah Lee clone, so I am not going to hold my breath

grocery_stocker

--

I don't know who Xah Lee is. Actually, I don't know who any of the
developers are. I could really care less. I think this stems from my

usenet

Michele said:
xl is far from being any of the developers, he's actually one guy
who's been trolling here and elsewhere (maybe he's *still* trolling,
but I've killfiled him since long, and I'm not really sure)

CLPMisc has ben x-el free for some time now. Maybe JohnB made an
impression? Who knows (or cares).
just like you *seem* to be doing now, and that's what John meant.

Although this OP is troll-ish in nature, it DOES seem to be making an
effort to inform itself about the subject at hand (Perl), as evidenced
by an apparent familarity with the FAQs and various module source codes
(which, I confess, I have not browsed). Other notorious trolls (X-el,
pee-g (aka moronzilla)) did not appear to make any such effort. So,
for the moment, I am giving this OP the benefit of the doubt, and
attributing its somewhat abrasive posture to either ill-informed
netiquette or alcohol.

John Bokma

Michele Dondi said:
You should care some more since xl is far from being any of the
developers, he's actually one guy who's been trolling here and
elsewhere (maybe he's *still* trolling, but I've killfiled him since
long, and I'm not really sure) just like you *seem* to be doing now,
and that's what John meant.

Xah posted quite some time a lot of criticism on the documentation that
came with Python. I can't recall he submitted corrections and
improvements. This poster seems to have issues with the documentation on
closures. So it would be nice if he/she submitted corrections/additions,
etc, so all can learn. But I doubt if this ever is going to happen.

And yes, Xah still posts, but less frequent. I know that some people are
still reporting him for every spam attempt (cross post to 5 groups with
links to articles on his site).

Ted Zlatanov

Anyhow, the perldocs that came with my Perl distro has a lot of bs
written on closures. However, I haven't seen any kind of actual use of
closures in the standard mods. All I've seen are some mods generated
using h2xs, some mods that abuse AUTOLOAD, but mostly I've seen a lot
that make heavy use of the Symbol mod. I really forgot where this was
going. Anyone care to enlighten me on this?

Closures are nice for hiding passwords.

{
my $password = 'secret';
sub get_password { return $password; }
}

You can't (easily) get at $password now except through get_password()

Ted