ICC using -cxxlib-gcc results in - /usr/lib/crtbeginS.o: No such file --error

CoL

Hi All,

I am compiling my c code with ICC 8.0 compiler with -cxxlib-gcc
option...But this results in
following error..

/usr/lib/crtbeginS.o : No such file: No such file or directory

Though I am including the Path for crtbeginS.o .

Code snippet--

/usr/local/packages/icc_remote/8.0.058/bin/icc -shared -Wl,-E -
i_dynamic -L/usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/3.4.5 -cxxlib-gcc -gcc-
version=345 -o mylib.so file1.0 file2.o -lpthread -lm -lc

ld: /usr/lib/crtbeginS.o: No such file: No such file or directory
gmake: *** [mylib.so] Error 1

-L/usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/3.4.5 contains the .o file.

~Regards
COL

Richard Bos

CoL said:
I am compiling my c code with ICC 8.0 compiler with -cxxlib-gcc
option...But this results in
following error..

/usr/lib/crtbeginS.o : No such file: No such file or directory

This is an error specific to ICC. It possibly means that you have
installed ICC badly or incompletely, but could also mean that you are
calling it the wrong way. Either way, you should ask in a newsgroup that
handles ICC, or possibly (since I can't at a glance find a newsgroup
with that topic) in a mailing list or *shudder* web forum with that
topic.

Richard

Tim Prince

CoL said:
Hi All,

I am compiling my c code with ICC 8.0 compiler with -cxxlib-gcc
option...But this results in
following error..

/usr/lib/crtbeginS.o : No such file: No such file or directory

Though I am including the Path for crtbeginS.o .

Code snippet--

/usr/local/packages/icc_remote/8.0.058/bin/icc -shared -Wl,-E -
i_dynamic -L/usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/3.4.5 -cxxlib-gcc -gcc-
version=345 -o mylib.so file1.0 file2.o -lpthread -lm -lc

ld: /usr/lib/crtbeginS.o: No such file: No such file or directory
gmake: *** [mylib.so] Error 1

-L/usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/3.4.5 contains the .o file.
In that discontinued version of icc, the gcc paths were taken from the
gcc which was active when icc was installed. If your gcc installation
changed since, you would have to re-install. The fact that you are
specifying paths here, and apparently attempting to override the
compiler's own install-time choice of libraries, indicates that you
aren't using the compiler as intended. No doubt, many here would find
objectionable a post such as this which depends on 2 or more specific
compilers, as well as somewhat esoteric linker options not even handled
by a C compiler.