IDE for python

Sameer Rathoud

Hello everyone,

I am new to python.

I am currently using python 3.3

With python I got IDLE, but I am not very comfortable with this.

Please suggest, if we have any free ide for python development.

Mihamina Rakotomandimby

Please suggest, if we have any free ide for python development.

I think major IDEs in the place have their Python integration.
Did you make some search and tried each one?

With just the information you provided, every existing IDE is OK.

- What didnt you like in IDLE?
- What IDE do you use for anything else thant Python?

cheng.li

IPython for interactive testing.

Aptana or PyDev + eclipse as IDE

-----ÓʼþÔ­¼þ-----
·¢¼þÈË: Python-list
[mailto:p[email protected]] ´ú±í
Sameer Rathoud
·¢ËÍʱ¼ä: 2014Äê5ÔÂ28ÈÕ 18:43
ÊÕ¼þÈË: (e-mail address removed)
Ö÷Ìâ: IDE for python

Hello everyone,

I am new to python.

I am currently using python 3.3

With python I got IDLE, but I am not very comfortable with this.

Please suggest, if we have any free ide for python development.

Sameer Rathoud

I think major IDEs in the place have their Python integration.

Did you make some search and tried each one?

With just the information you provided, every existing IDE is OK.

- What didnt you like in IDLE?

- What IDE do you use for anything else thant Python?

for C++ and C# development I prefer visual studio and for C++ try outs even codeblock is ok

For Java I use eclipse.

But first time I am trying python. I was trying some UI with python. I have installed wingide. But i didn't liked it because for licenses messages even in trial version.

I was searching for spyder, but didn't got any helpful installable.

Chris Angelico

I am currently using python 3.3

With python I got IDLE, but I am not very comfortable with this.

Please suggest, if we have any free ide for python development.

You don't really need an IDE, generally. A good text editor - I use
SciTE, but as alister said, there are as many viable answers as there
are posters - is all you need. Back when I wrote code in Q-BASIC,
VX-REXX, and then C and C++, I used IDEs, but even then the main
features I used were just smart text editors.

My preferred "IDE", these days, is Debian Linux with Xfce, which gives
me a convenient workspace in which to run SciTE plus a few dozen
terminal windows. One of them will be dedicated to source control
(git, hg, or whatever the current project uses); some of those do have
GUI interfaces or editor integration, but I find it easiest to use the
command line. Another generally is for running the program, unless
it's one that permanently stays running (or is being remotely
manipulated via a TCP/IP link). Then, depending on what I'm doing, I
might have a few more... maybe a music player (or maybe that's VLC,
invoked via the Yosemite Project), maybe a few man pages, whatever
else I need. It's highly unlikely that anyone's written an IDE that
does everything I could possibly want, so I just use the computer's
desktop as that IDE. It can do anything! :)

ChrisA

Greg Schroeder

Anything that writes text is fine.
I recommend the standard text editor for your OS (Notepad if you use
Windows, Textedit on Mac, whatever is on your GNU/Linux distro by
default) unless you know exactly what you don't like about it.

Greg

Chris Angelico

for C++ and C# development I prefer visual studio and for C++ try outs even codeblock is ok

For Java I use eclipse.

But first time I am trying python. I was trying some UI with python. I have installed wingide. But i didn't liked it because for licenses messages even in trial version.

I was searching for spyder, but didn't got any helpful installable.

Yep, so you're accustomed to an IDE. But just try a good editor like
SciTE or Geany or emacs (or ... or ... or ...), and see how you like
it. As an added bonus, you can get to know one editor and use it for
everything, rather than having separate IDEs for separate languages.

ChrisA

Mark Lawrence

for C++ and C# development I prefer visual studio and for C++ try outs even codeblock is ok

For Java I use eclipse.

Get the pydev plugin for eclipse. Pydev uses pylint to flag up errors
or warnings as you type, saves hours of work.
But first time I am trying python. I was trying some UI with python. I have installed wingide. But i didn't liked it because for licenses messages even in trial version.

I was searching for spyder, but didn't got any helpful installable.

Also would you please use the mailing list
https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list or read and action
this https://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython to prevent us
seeing double line spacing and single line paragraphs, thanks.

Chris Angelico

Anything that writes text is fine.
I recommend the standard text editor for your OS (Notepad if you use
Windows, Textedit on Mac, whatever is on your GNU/Linux distro by
default) unless you know exactly what you don't like about it.

No. Don't use Notepad for anything! It's easy enough to get a better
editor. Among its other faults, Notepad:

1) Has problems with LF line endings (they vanish, and you have hugely
long lines)
2) Puts three junk bytes onto the beginning of a file that it
considers saved as UTF-8
3) Doesn't understand coding cookies, and will happily save something
in a different encoding like CP-1252 (which it calls "ANSI")
4) Guesses encodings on load, giving rise to the famous "Bush hid the
facts" trick - although this is unlikely to be a problem with
something of decent size
5) Has issues with large files - or at least, it did last time I
tried; this may no longer be true with Windows 7/8

Default text editors on the Linux distros I've used have been far
better, but still less than ideal. With Debian Squeeze, I got a gedit
that bugged me in several ways, which is what pushed me onto SciTE.
You can certainly start coding with gedit, though. The issues that I
had with it were relating to heavy-duty usage that I do, where I'm
basically spending an entire day delving into code and moving stuff
around. These days, though, I'd rather have one editor on both the
platforms I use (Windows and Linux, each in multiple variants), as it
allows me to share configs and comfortable keystrokes. There are
plenty of cross-platform editors to choose from.

So, I agree with your analysis, as regards gedit ("know exactly what
you don't like about it"). If it doesn't bug you, use it. But if
Notepad doesn't bug you, *still don't use it*, because it's like
driving a car that isn't structurally sound. It might not be you that
gets hurt by it... or it might not be for quite a while that you see
the problems... but the pain will happen.

ChrisA

Sameer Rathoud

Anything that writes text is fine.

I recommend the standard text editor for your OS (Notepad if you use

Windows, Textedit on Mac, whatever is on your GNU/Linux distro by

default) unless you know exactly what you don't like about it.

Greg

Right now I am looking for ide on windows 7 platform.

Actually, I shouldn't say this, But I am bit use to intellisense and on go warnings and error and my text editor (Notepad) doesn't provide me that feature .

Sameer Rathoud

Right now I am looking for ide on windows 7 platform.

Actually, I shouldn't say this, But I am bit use to intellisense and on go warnings and error and my text editor (Notepad) doesn't provide me that feature .

one more query, do we have any add-in available for python on visual studio 2010

Steven D'Aprano

Hello everyone,

I am new to python.

I am currently using python 3.3

With python I got IDLE, but I am not very comfortable with this.

Please suggest, if we have any free ide for python development.

What operating system are you using? The best IDE for Python is Unix or
Linux:

http://blog.sanctum.geek.nz/series/unix-as-ide/

My IDE is to have three GUI windows open:

* A web browser for searching the Internet. Any browser will do, but I
prefer Firefox.

* A tabbed editor. I prefer kate (KDE 3 version, not KDE 4), but geany is
also good. At a pinch gedit will do. kwrite is another good editor, but
not tabbed, and it lacks some of the features of kate.

* An xterm or console app, again with tabs. I like KDE 3's konsole, but
any modern, configurable, tabbed console will do.

If I'm working collaboratively with others, I'll also have an IRC client
open, for chatting. Or being distracted, more likely. I'll often also
have a Unicode character selector open, such as KCharSelect or Gnome
Charmap.

I open a few tabs in the console:

* At least one tab running in a Python interactive interpreter, for
testing small snippets of code, running the Python interactive help()
system, and so forth.

* At least one tab for running my code, or my unit tests.

* Another tab for managing files, including source control (hg or git).

Some people like to do all of this from a single tab, using the screen
command to manage virtual tabs. I am not one of those people. For the
same reason, I prefer GUI editors over emacs or vim.

Sameer Rathoud

Get the pydev plugin for eclipse. Pydev uses pylint to flag up errors

or warnings as you type, saves hours of work.

Also would you please use the mailing list

this https://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython to prevent us

seeing double line spacing and single line paragraphs, thanks.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

---

Thanks a lot everyone, for your valuable suggestion.

I have successfully plugged-in PyDev and it is working great for me.

Once again thanks a lot

Mark H Harris

I am currently using python 3.3
With python I got IDLE, but I am not very comfortable with this.
Please suggest, if we have any free ide for python development.

I tend to agree with Chris & Steven on this... a good gnu/linux desktop
is the best IDE (debian, xfce, terminals galore)

Early in my unix career I learned VI (now VIM) and find that for most
editing jobs (even from remote) --- can't be beat.

OTOH, I would highly recommend getting comfortable with IDLE; especially
if you're using 3.3+ / the modern IDLE works, is stable, and has many
advantages over just a tabbed editor. It is highly configurable, simple
and elegant, not to mention that its written against tkinter with pure
python. Today I'm using IDLE for python development almost exclusively.

You no doubt are getting comfortable with python's indentation code
blocking delimiting anomaly. IDLE helps with that. Yes, you can use
tabs, but you shouldn't (for several reasons, I spare you). Typically
the indentation is 4 spaces; IDLE handles this for you automatically
(mostly) and allows the 4 spaces to be reconfigured.

The only really irritating aspect of IDLE which I had to get used to was
that the interactive REPL provides no way to clear the screen. Its
debugging capabilities (and undo levels) more than make up for that tiny
small snag.

You will come to appreciate the class path browser, recent files, &c.
The default highlight colors are well chosen (they may be changed) and
the window size and fonts may be changed. I think IDLE looks good. Its
clean, clear, and functional.

I guess what I'm encouraging you to do is be patient with IDLE until you
get a grip on it. There's more to it than meets the eye, at first.

marcus

Mark Lawrence

On 28/05/2014 14:01, Sameer Rathoud wrote:

I've had to snip umpteen lines that gg has added so *please* use the
mailing list https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list or
read and action this https://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython to
prevent us seeing double line spacing and single line paragraphs, thanks.
one more query, do we have any add-in available for python on visual studio 2010

Python Tools for Visual Studio here http://pytools.codeplex.com/ but I
don't think it supports the express edition.

wxjmfauth

Le mercredi 28 mai 2014 14:55:35 UTC+2, Chris Angelico a écrit :
[...]

========

Amen.
Ite missa est.

Wolfgang Keller

With python I got IDLE, but I am not very comfortable with this.
Please suggest, if we have any free ide for python development.

There are a lot of IDEs for Python.

One classic is WingIDE. Available for free is a "101" edition. Runs on
all major operating systems. Implemented itself in Python.

An editor that's completely implemented in Python is Editra. With
plugins you can turn it into an "almost IDE" as well.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang

Ernest Bonat, Ph.D.

I believe in IDE with a complete project structure development and
debugging tool. I have to time for a lot of typing. Mi option is Eclipse
IDE with PyDev plugin.

Thanks

--
Thanks