ides

Robin

I'm thinking about perl ides in VB or Visual CPP and I'm wondering if
someone has some good links on how it's done or some information on how one
could access the perl binary to produce output in a window on windows?
Thanks.

Sherm Pendley

Robin said:
I'm thinking about perl ides

Beware the ides of Perl! (Sorry, couldn't resist...)
in VB or Visual CPP and I'm wondering if
someone has some good links on how it's done or some information on how
one could access the perl binary to produce output in a window on windows?

ActiveState makes a product called "Visual Perl" that integrates into
Microsoft's Visual Studio. I don't know if it will help do GUI stuff from
Perl though.

<http://www.activestate.com/Products/Visual_Perl/>

sherm--

PS: If you ever want to do something similar on a Mac, have a look at
CamelBones. ;-)

Lukas Mai

Purl Gurl schrob:
[...]
Perl itself is written in C++ language and compiled with
MS Visual C++ version 5 or version 6, as is Apache.

Wrong. Perl itself is written in C and can be compiled with
any C compiler.

[...]
Knowing ANSI C first _really_ helps.

Which one? C89 or C99? :)

HTH, Lukas

Bart Lateur

Lukas said:
Purl Gurl schrob:
[...]
Perl itself is written in C++ language and compiled with
MS Visual C++ version 5 or version 6, as is Apache.

Wrong. Perl itself is written in C and can be compiled with
any C compiler.

*Any* C compiler? OK, I invite you to release a port of perl for
Windows, using the free C compilers LCC or OpenWatcom; or at least the
additional files/mods one would need to be able to build it.

So far I've heard not one report from anyone who actually succeeded in
building perl for Win32, apart from using Visual C or Cygwin.

Robin

Purl Gurl said:
You can now purchase Microsoft Visual C++ version 6 on Ebay
for under one-hundred-fifty dollars. Nice edition which will
run under true Win32 systems, Win9.x and NT4 systems.

This is a very good piece of software despite being from
Microsoft. Best feature is emphasis upon MSDOS creativity,
both Perl and Apache are MSDOS based for Win32 systems,
and for NT5 such as 2000 and XP.

What you can do with C++ is limited only by your imagination,
such as compiling Perl, Apache and modules for both.

Perl itself is written in C++ language and compiled with
MS Visual C++ version 5 or version 6, as is Apache.

Writing a GUI is a snap.

O'Reilly - C++ The Core Language

A good start. Amazon offers dozens of C++ books
for really cheap, four or five dollars for books
normally three times as much. Bought seven books
on C++ for under fifty dollars. Look in their
associated dealers section, "used and new" books.

Knowing ANSI C first _really_ helps.

thanks perl gurl, yeah I'm gonna need some books. The core language? Oreilly
rocks man.
Btw, thanks for the info earlier about parsing my query string. here's my
little subroutine.

#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;
print querystringparse ("Just+Another+Perl+Hacker.");

sub querystringparse
{
my ($query1) = shift (@_); #the query string
my (@splitquery, $splitqueryret);
@splitquery = split (/+/, $query1);
$splitqueryret = join (' ', @splitquery);
return $splitqueryret;

Robin

#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;
print querystringparse ("Just+Another+Perl+Hacker.");

sub querystringparse
{
my ($query1) = shift (@_); #the query string
my (@splitquery, $splitqueryret);
@splitquery = split (/+/, $query1);
$splitqueryret = join (' ', @splitquery);
return $splitqueryret;
}

#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use warnings;

my $val = querystringparse1 ('Just+Another+Perl+Hacker.');
print $val;

sub querystringparse1
{
my ($query1) = @_; #the query string
my (@splitquery, $splitqueryret);
@splitquery = split (/\+/, $query1);
$splitqueryret = join (' ', @splitquery);
return $splitqueryret;
}

now it works.

Tassilo v. Parseval

Also sprach Purl Gurl:
Purl Gurl wrote:

Here is a well know example.

Bring up your favorite MSIE browser and visit:

http://x42.com/test/ie_feature.html

Observe results. Nothing harmful, just annoying.

Netscape / Mozilla is immune.

That type of data could be easily submitted to
a chat line, a guestbook, message board, or
any number of other cgi application types,
through form submission data.

Note however that this is not an issue with server-side security. If I
were to run a webserver, I'd not really be concerned with clients that
crash on certain occasions. I'd invest my time only on ensuring the
webserver's integrity. I wouldn't care much about visitors using buggy
software to connect to my server. That'd be their issue.
Dignity is a notion unfamiliar to many boys here.

When it comes to that, no one is naturally ever going to be a match for
you. We can live with that rather easily. :)

Tassilo

Robin

Purl Gurl said:
I have read Perl can be compiled with GCC, Watcom and others.
However, this reading also indicates "all else" must be
compiled with the same compiler leaving you with a version
which is not portable. In short, Perl, modules, other addon
programs, all must be compiled using the same compiler.

Nonetheless, like you, I have yet to come across any citations
of Perl or Apache being compiled with anything but Microsoft
Visual C++ software, version 5 or version 6 software.

Of interest, MS C++ versions 5 and 6 are Win9x / NT4 based,
more specific, true MSDOS based.

Almost all visited sites indicate you must use Microsoft
to compile Perl, Microsoft version 5 or later. Currently,
I am not sure Microsoft "Net" could compile Perl because
of the Net version being so heavily NT5 based. Traditional
i386 architecture prevails in most Win32 programs.

Apache employs many include files which are Microsoft specific
which would cause problems for most open source compilers;
those includes would need to be imported and modified.
I recall Perl also makes use of some MS based includes.

Interesting note on this, Apache 1.3.x series for Win32
work with perfection, save for 1.3.28 and 1.3.29 versions
having an error message bug. Apache 2.x series are written
specifically for NT5 machines and all Apache 2.x series
are extremely buggy and prone to crashing. Could be these
new Apache 2.x versions are compiled with a MS Net compiler.
This might be a result of Apache for Win32 being MSDOS
based and NT5 / Net programs are not true MSDOS based.

Another note is I use Watcom 5 C++ builder, in addition
to Microsoft. To build some programs I must import includes
from Microsoft into Watcom for compilation. This is rather
tedious because of having track down includes which are
enclosed in includes; snowball effect. Many of those files
must be modified to work with Watcom.

Compiling Perl, Apache, even Mozilla, is a very daunting
task riddle with problems and complex issues, regardless
if compiled Unix style or Win32 style.

Path of least resistance is MS Visual C++ version 5 or 6
with Pentium 3 and Pentium 4 service pack installed, when
a Win32 package is needed.

Purl Gurl

yeah, come up with a citation, it can be
copied/mutilated/edited/extracted/compiled with anything...including
Benchmark.pm

-Robin

GreenLight

Purl Gurl said:
Of interest, MS C++ versions 5 and 6 are Win9x / NT4 based,
more specific, true MSDOS based.

Could you please stop saying stuff like this? NT4 is no more "MSDOS
based" than I am. Microsoft wrote Windows NT 3.5 from scratch, more
than a decade ago. It was not MSDOS, and was not based upon MSDOS. All
versions of NT/Win2000/WinXP come from this codebase.

John W. Kennedy

Purl said:
I did not state NT4 is MSDOS based although it is.
All NT machines are based on MSDOS. Can an NT
machine boot in the absence of MSDOS?

Yes. 95/98/ME is built on a built-in advanced MS-DOS, but NT/2000/XP is
a new operating system for which an MS-DOS emulator is supplied.

Matt Garrish

Purl Gurl said:
I did not state NT4 is MSDOS based although it is.
All NT machines are based on MSDOS. Can an NT
machine boot in the absence of MSDOS?

Ahh, now we get to the root of your stupidity. Since all computers require a
BIOS in order to boot, does that mean that all operating system are based on
your computer's BIOS? You would be quite the scientist if there hadn't been
that little thing called the Enlightenment.

You ought to upgrade your copy of Windows 95 before you go making these
absurd statements about how all Windows systems work. Try and get it through
that thick, low-browed skull of yours that NT *does not* run on ms-dos.

Matt

Kåre Olai Lindbach

Could you please stop saying stuff like this? NT4 is no more "MSDOS
based" than I am. Microsoft wrote Windows NT 3.5 from scratch, more
than a decade ago. It was not MSDOS, and was not based upon MSDOS. All
versions of NT/Win2000/WinXP come from this codebase.

Although MS did a rewrite of NT newer versions, the NT OS itself is
based on IBMs OS/2, from what I have learned.

The full story is more complicated, but it again involves some broken
promises from MS towards a (once) partner. MS got the job to develop
OS/2, but resigned, and developed their own solution instead. They
were also too occupied earing money on the winXX-track.

Kåre Olai Lindbach

Kåre Olai Lindbach ([email protected]) wrote:
: On 26 Apr 2004 12:04:14 -0700, (e-mail address removed) (GreenLight) wrote:

: >>
: >> Of interest, MS C++ versions 5 and 6 are Win9x / NT4 based,
: >> more specific, true MSDOS based.
: >
: >Could you please stop saying stuff like this? NT4 is no more "MSDOS
: >based" than I am. Microsoft wrote Windows NT 3.5 from scratch, more
: >than a decade ago. It was not MSDOS, and was not based upon MSDOS. All
: >versions of NT/Win2000/WinXP come from this codebase.

: Although MS did a rewrite of NT newer versions, the NT OS itself is
: based on IBMs OS/2, from what I have learned.

NT was designed and built from scratch under the direction of one Dave
Cutler, based on his (Dave's) experience designing and developing RSX-11,
VMS, and VAXELN, (all operating systems used by the now defunct Digital
Equipment Corp.).

I do not beleive it was in anyway "based" on OS/2. Certainly, NT has may
fundamental differences, including using 16 bit wide characters in all
routines in the kernel, and it was designed to run on numerous different
hardware platforms. I doubt that any of that code could have been taken
from any OS/2 code.

Not that I know this for certain, nor know if this url is reliable,
but:

"By late 1990, Microsoft had intensified its disagreements with IBM to
the point where IBM decided that it would have to take some overt
action to ensure that OS/2 development continued at a reasonable pace.
IBM, therefore, took over complete development responsibility for OS/2
1.x, even though it was in its dying days, and OS/2 2.00. Microsoft
would continue development on Windows and OS/2 3.00. Shortly after
this split, Microsoft renamed OS/2 V3 to Windows NT."

from:

http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/OS2History.html

Malcolm Dew-Jones

[...]

Bart Lateur ([email protected]) wrote:
: Lukas Mai wrote:

: >Purl Gurl schrob:
: >[...]
: >> Perl itself is written in C++ language and compiled with
: >> MS Visual C++ version 5 or version 6, as is Apache.
: >
: >Wrong. Perl itself is written in C and can be compiled with
: >any C compiler.

: *Any* C compiler? OK, I invite you to release a port of perl for
: Windows, using the free C compilers LCC or OpenWatcom; or at least the
: additional files/mods one would need to be able to build it.

: So far I've heard not one report from anyone who actually succeeded in
: building perl for Win32, apart from using Visual C or Cygwin.

Perl for win32 is trivial to build using the free borland c compiler. I
do not know how compatible it is with any extensions, though.

Andy Hassall

Almost all visited sites indicate you must use Microsoft
to compile Perl, Microsoft version 5 or later. Currently,
I am not sure Microsoft "Net" could compile Perl

FYI, Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 compiles Perl perfectly well.

Bart Lateur

Malcolm said:
Perl for win32 is trivial to build using the free borland c compiler.

Too bad I hate Borland. I even made the mistake once to buy a compiler
box from them, some years ago. A pile of crap, of unknown composition.
I'm not going to waste any more time with them, free or not.
I do not know how compatible it is with any extensions, though.

If you mean, compatible with an precompiled binaries, as for PPM: Not,
AFAIK.

Bernard R

I'm thinking about perl ides in VB or Visual CPP and I'm wondering if
someone has some good links on how it's done or some information on
how one could access the perl binary to produce output in a window on
windows? Thanks.

use Tk;

John W. Kennedy

Kåre Olai Lindbach said:
The full story is more complicated, but it again involves some broken
promises from MS towards a (once) partner. MS got the job to develop
OS/2, but resigned, and developed their own solution instead. They
were also too occupied earing money on the winXX-track.

They also lied outright about their intentions, right up to the last minute.

John W. Kennedy

Malcolm said:
NT was designed and built from scratch under the direction of one Dave
Cutler, based on his (Dave's) experience designing and developing RSX-11,
VMS, and VAXELN, (all operating systems used by the now defunct Digital
Equipment Corp.).

I do not beleive it was in anyway "based" on OS/2.

That is, indeed, one of the lies that Microsoft tells.
Certainly, NT has may
fundamental differences, including using 16 bit wide characters in all
routines in the kernel, and it was designed to run on numerous different
hardware platforms.

So was OS/2.

--
John W. Kennedy
"Give up vows and dogmas, and fixed things, and you may grow like That.