idref, key and xmllint

maxwell

I'm trying to write a schema, and test it by running an xml file of
test data based on that schema through xmllint. I'm having a problem,
because xmllint ( --version reports "using libxml version 20616")
doesn't seem to know anything about idref, key or keyref.

Specifically, the use of 'xsd:key' and 'xsd:keyref' in the schema
causes xmllint to output
Unimplemented block at xmlschemas.c:5588
and the use of 'idref' (but not of 'id') makes xmllint say
Unimplemented block at xmlschemastypes.c:2164

As I am very much a beginner at these things, I have no confidence
that I've used these constructs correctly.

Is there a newer version of xmllint/ libxml that handles idref, key
and keyref?

Is there another program that would be better at checking these sorts
of things than xmllint? For example, could I load this into an XML
editor and have it validate things (and particularly that I have the
xpaths in the key and keyref right)?

Mike Maxwell
CASL/ U MD