IE Requirement for Web Application

dm1608

Hi --

I have a NET 1.1 application that we use on our Extranet that requires a few
..OCX files when using our site. One of the challenges that I'm having is
that every 5-6 months, the .OCX files are updated to a new version. This
requires users to accept the download and install the new ActiveX control
when the page is visited. Currently, all our customers have added our local
server to their "Trusted" zone within IE.

Does anyone know of a sure-fire way that I can configure IE or the OS to
allow the control to be updated without the user being logged in as
Administrator. Currently, most users are not administrators on the machine.
So when the control is updated, they have to logout and contact their
network Admin to either login to their PC and access the site so the control
is updated or do a RunAs for IE to update the control.

We have over 800 clients actively using our servers throughout the day --
mostly the same clients all day long.

It is very labor intensive to request from our clients to log in as
Administrator to update control just so they can access our web application.
Removing the control is not an option.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Clients range from W2K Pro, XP, and NT 4.0 Workstation.

Thanks