IE5 only shows tooo wide div

richard

Here http://www.vunet.us/wic/test/top.asp you will see a very wide
(outside the screen) div with id="middle" (red color border). This
never happens in IE6+, FF. Can anyone find the problem? Thanks
Here is the screen shot that may not be available soon:
http://browsershots.org/png/512/59/592a613878b44a98e770c88a7fd5faf1.png

why worry about it? IE5 is ancient history. I'm surprised you even have a
copy. From stats I've seen from my website, it would appear that FF
outrules IE anyways. Chances are it's probably due to IE5 just not
recognizing the coding. Back then, css was just beginning and browsers had
to change with the times.

VUNETdotUS

why worry about it? IE5 is ancient history. I'm surprised you even have a
copy. From stats I've seen from my website, it would appear that FF
outrules IE anyways. Chances are it's probably due to IE5 just not
recognizing the coding. Back then, css was just beginning and browsers had
to change with the times.

You may be right. However, I've noticed that when I use Google cached
link it shows the same result in all IE (including IE7, not FF). I
think something is wrong with right positioning, perhaps. Thanks

dorayme

<[email protected]
m>,
VUNETdotUS said:
Here http://www.vunet.us/wic/test/top.asp you will see a very wide
(outside the screen) div with id="middle" (red color border). This
never happens in IE6+, FF. Can anyone find the problem? Thanks
Here is the screen shot that may not be available soon:
http://browsershots.org/png/512/59/592a613878b44a98e770c88a7fd5faf1.png

You put up a transitional doctype doc, it does not validate and
the errors can be seen via http://validator.w3.org/ and at
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Best to fix these before peering into the murky waters of IE size
calculations.

VUNETdotUS

<[email protected]
m>,

You put up a transitional doctype doc, it does not validate and
the errors can be seen viahttp://validator.w3.org/and athttp://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Best to fix these before peering into the murky waters of IE size
calculations.

Yes, thanks. But they are topmargin, leftmargin in BODY tag or omitted
ALT tag. Is this is a serious problem?

dorayme

<[email protected]
m>,
VUNETdotUS said:
You put up a transitional doctype doc, it does not validate and
the errors can be seen via http://validator.w3.org/ and
at http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Best to fix these before peering into the murky waters of IE size
calculations.
[/QUOTE]
Yes, thanks. But they are topmargin, leftmargin in BODY tag or omitted
ALT tag. Is this is a serious problem?

I only saw the number of errors and the first one (which you omit
to ask if it is serious) before replying. The first listed was:

Line 8, Column 6: required attribute "TYPE" not specified.

The attribute given above is required for an element that you've
used, but you have omitted it. For instance, in most HTML and
XHTML document types the "type" attribute is required on the
"script" element

I was just remarking on it, and thinking that if someone was able
to look into IE 5 and your code, it would encourage them if you
had your mark up kosher. Given you are obviously a keen css
stylesheeter, what motivated you to include those layout
instructions in <body...>? You using a generator?

VUNETdotUS

<[email protected]
m>,

I only saw the number of errors and the first one (which you omit
to ask if it is serious) before replying. The first listed was:

Line 8, Column 6: required attribute "TYPE" not specified.

The attribute given above is required for an element that you've
used, but you have omitted it. For instance, in most HTML and
XHTML document types the "type" attribute is required on the
"script" element

I was just remarking on it, and thinking that if someone was able
to look into IE 5 and your code, it would encourage them if you
had your mark up kosher. Given you are obviously a keen css
stylesheeter, what motivated you to include those layout
instructions in <body...>? You using a generator?

historically I kept body attributes and left unchanged since there was
not conflict with modern browsers. I will remove attributes but I
suspect this is not the problem. Thanks.