If you try the JBuilder Enterprise trial, you won't be able to run Turbo JBuilder afterwards

Ramon F Herrera

I was very happy with Turbo JBuilder when I made a bad mistake: I
downloaded the JBuilder Enterprise trial to check it out.

The first sign of trouble was that the About dialog in both versions
showed "JBuilder Enterprise 2007". When the trial period ended, I
uninstalled the Enterprise version, removed its folder and reinstalled
Turbo JBuilder several times. The Turbo version has an identity crisis
as it believes to be the Enterprise version.

Apparently, CodeGear saves some information in the Windows registry,
and that information stays there even after the software has been
removed.

So, if you want to try the Enterprise version, you better be ready to
purchase it, as the penalty is that you have to forget about using the
free Turbo version.

I would expect this viral behavior from unemployed hackers, but not
from a company of Borland's heritage and stature among the developer
community.

-Ramon

Daniel Pitts

Ramon said:
[...]

I would suspect this is a bug, and not intentional. I would send a bug
report to the appropriate location if I were you.

Andrew Thompson

Ramon said:
I was very happy with Turbo JBuilder ...

Thanks for the warning*. I agree with Daniel, I'm
sure Borland would appreciate a bug report.

* I am not likely to be delving into the (usually excellent)
Borland tools anytime soon, but it's handy to know things
to 'watch out for', should the need arise.

Lew

Arne said:
Spybot certainly will not.

As the name implies it is a malware remover.

I use Spybot S & D, and it certainly will help. It has a tool to identify
registry inconsistencies and help you resolve them.

Ramon F Herrera

[...]

This is another problem that has been found & fixed. The solution is
to remove a file regxxx.txt from your home directory (that file
corresponds to the JBuilder 2007 Enterprise Trial) and JBuilder
automagically reverts to the freebie-but-goodie Turbo JBuilder.

A CodeGear guy told me that being multi-platform, JBuilder does not
store anything in the &#%* Windows registry.

-Ramon