IFrame Question

GSL

Hello,

I'm building an application that will be incorporated into existing
websites. I'd like to use the IFrame tag to accomplish this, but now I'm
having second thoughts based on all of the negative comments I've seen
regarding IFrames.

Is there an alternative method to allow a page to seamlessly access another
site?

-gsl

Guest

Because of cross-site scripting (XSS) restrictions, even using XMLHTTP won't
work with all browsers. For example in Internet Explorer if the target site
is in the IE Trusted Sites zone, requesting content is allowed. In Firefox,
there is no way to get content from another site than the server from which
the page was served.

Maybe you could provide more detail about what it is you want to accomplish.
Javascript is often used to provide content from other sites.

Peter

GSL

My thought is that the IFrame content will be completely independent of the
main site (no cross-site communication). So, once the user navigates to the
page on the main site that contains the IFrame, they will interact
exclusively with the IFrame content. The application (which appears in the
IFrame) will use AJAX, but within it's own domain.

Thanks,
gsl

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

thats what iframe (or frames) are designed for. be careful of using targets
like "_top", or postbacks can replace the parent page.

an issue with using an iframe over frame, is if the parent page posts back,
your iframe will be reloaded with the original source (a get), so you need
to be careful about maintaining state.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)