ignoring some placeholders in string formatting

Discussion in 'Python' started by Michal Ludvig, Feb 11, 2010.

  1. Hi all,

    when I've got a string, say:

    URL="http://xyz/blah?session=%(session)s&message=%(message)s"

    is it possible to fill in only 'session' and leave "%(message)s" as is
    when it isn't present in the values dict?

    For example:
    URL % { 'session' : 123 }
    raises KeyError because of missing 'message' in the dict.

    I could indeed replace '%(session)s' with a string replace or regexp but
    that's not very elegant ;-)

    Is there any way to tell the formatter to use only what's available and
    ignore the rest?

    Thanks

    Michal

    Michal Ludvig, Feb 11, 2010