IIS7 on Windows Server 2008 RC1 Configuration Data is invalid

Olivier MATROT

I'm trying to run an ASP.NET 2.0 web site on Windows Server 2008 RC1.
I encounter a server error : HTTP 500.19 - Configuration data is invalid
IIS7 claims that the <appSettings> section in web.config is invalid.
The management tools are also unable to parse the configuration.

The same web site, with the same configuration, is running perfectly on Vista.

Is it tied to Windows Server 2008 RC1 ?
Any help appreciated.

TIA.

Leon Mayne

Olivier MATROT said:
I'm trying to run an ASP.NET 2.0 web site on Windows Server 2008 RC1.
I encounter a server error : HTTP 500.19 - Configuration data is invalid
IIS7 claims that the <appSettings> section in web.config is invalid.
The management tools are also unable to parse the configuration.

The same web site, with the same configuration, is running perfectly on
Vista.

Is it tied to Windows Server 2008 RC1 ?
Any help appreciated.

Is version 2.0 of the .NET framework definitely installed on the server?

Make sure the IIS application the app is running under is set to use version
2.0 of the framework rather than 3.0 (or 3.5)

Olivier MATROT

ASP.NET 2.0 is installed on the server with the following command :
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -ir

ASP.NET 2.0 ScriptMaps are registered to the target site with the following
command :
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -s
W3SVC/1/ROOT/MyVDir

The default appPool is configured with version 2.0 of the .NET framework.