I'm happy with Python 2.5

n00m

Python 2.5 (r25:51908, Sep 19 2006, 09:52:17) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
(Intel)] on win32

and Idon't move neither up nor down from it (the best & the fastest
version)

n00m

Python 3 is a tempor. lapse of reason.
Just my an intuitive sensation, nothing objective in it.

Steven D'Aprano

Python 2.5 (r25:51908, Sep 19 2006, 09:52:17) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
(Intel)] on win32

and Idon't move neither up nor down from it (the best & the fastest
version)

Congratulations.

n00m

http://www.spoj.pl/problems/TMUL/

Python's "print a * b" gets Time Limit Exceeded.

PHP's code
fscanf(STDIN, "%d\n", &$tcs);
while ($tcs--) {
fscanf(STDIN, "%s %s\n", &$n, &$m);
echo bcmul($n, $m, 0)."\n";
does it in 4.8s

Tom Zych

n00m said:
Am I turmoiling your wishful thinking?
You may nourish it till the end of time.

Let us cease to nourish those fabled ones who dwell under bridges.

Steven D'Aprano

If speed is the only thing you care about, then you can forget about
fretting over whether 2.5 or 3.1 is faster. You're using the wrong
language to begin with.

Surely that depends on whether you care about execution speed or
development speed.

Tom Zych

Surely that depends on whether you care about execution speed or
development speed.

s/care/care more/. People generally care about both to /some/ extent.
(Probably being over-pedantic again...)

Steven D'Aprano

There's your problem. I'd say most Python 3.x adopters are using it for
something other than working out whose performance dick is the longest.

In fairness, the Python Dev team is very aware of the risk of performance
degradation. Performance is important, but it is not *so important* that
it outweighs everything else.

The question that needs to be asked is not "Is Python 3 fast?", but
instead "Is Python 3 fast enough?".

Brian

While some may see this thread as troll candy, others may not.
We want cake. And we need to eat it.

Doing a lot of instrument control and data acquisition stuff.
And a short dev period has same importance as short run time.

As for the safety of those that dwell under and walk over
bridges, yes I wrote a strain gage calibrator system that was
used by a civil engr for monitoring a bridge.