implementing download using a url call

tanmay.kansara

Hey Guys,

here is what I am trying to solve.

I have a URL - somesite.com/server/pattern.x?some_more_stuff

This URl is out there as an href tag on users website. Is there a way in which I can serve a file(not from my server) while ensuring that the users remain on the third party website. I am currently using this :

myfile = "http://download.someothersite.com/somefile.exe"

return HttpResponse(meta_tag, content_type='force-download')

The above works, however the user gets redirected to a blank page. Would downloading and serving the file from my server be a better option? If so, some pointers please.

Do let me know what would be an elegant solution. The file sizes should be about 500kb(stub files).

Thanks

Chris Angelico

Hey Guys,

here is what I am trying to solve.

I have a URL - somesite.com/server/pattern.x?some_more_stuff

This URl is out there as an href tag on users website. Is there a way in which I can serve a file(not from my server) while ensuring that the users remain on the third party website. I am currently using this :

myfile = "http://download.someothersite.com/somefile.exe"

return HttpResponse(meta_tag, content_type='force-download')

The above works, however the user gets redirected to a blank page. Would downloading and serving the file from my server be a better option? If so, some pointers please.

So what you want is for the user to go to a page which both downloads
a file *and* displays content, is that it?

This is fairly common on the web today; have a look at how places like
Sourceforge do it.

ChrisA

tanmay.kansara

Hey

Sorry, I should make it more clear. We had a 3rd party that was serving stub builds and they have their URLs on various pages(random sites). We control the sub-domain, so i can send that traffic to wherever I want. I am looking to create logic that takes that incoming parameter and serves an exe file.
With the logic I posted, the user gets the file, but also gets a new blank page. I would like to keep the user on the 3rd part website.

Hope this clarifies.

Thanks