index[ array ]

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Stefan Ram, Jun 9, 2014.

  1. Stefan Ram

    Stefan Ram Guest

    The C notation

    i[ a ]

    wherein i is the index and a is the array is quite natural
    since i therein acts as a kind of »extractor function« which
    extracts the component with offset i of its argument a.

    However, while I was using this notation, I noticed what the
    actual problem with this notation is: when one wants to
    increment the index, then the notation

    ++i[ a ]

    will increment i[ a ] instead, so one has to write

    ! Under such circumstances it eventually is better indeed
    to write the boring

    a[ ++i ]
    Stefan Ram, Jun 9, 2014

  2. To make it less boring, why not let `a' denote the index and `i' the array?

    -- August
    August Karlstrom, Jun 9, 2014