Indexing of a website.

Brian Robertson

Ed said:
Well, I'm pretty sure Google does index content within tables. See
this search:

http://tinyurl.com/yejqsrm
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&num=50&q=abington+1968+regimbal&aq=f&aqi=&oq=

The name "Regimbal" in the search query only appears within a table on
that page.

You can also go to my main page in my sig and enter "Regimbal" in the
Google search. You'll get a correct search.

Also, look at this search of your own site:

http://tinyurl.com/y9eqx2l
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...+site:britishrailways1960.co.uk&aq=f&aqi=&oq=

I think the problem is likely the lack of meaningful text within that
table.

Yes, Google indexes everything, but I want to put a search box on my website
that just searches my website. The Google tool that does this does NOT seem
to read text inside the boxes. ie People have no means of looking for a
particular railway station.

idle

Yes, Google indexes everything, but I want to put a search box on my website
that just searches my website. The Google tool that does this does NOT seem
to read text inside the boxes. ie People have no means of looking for a
particular railway station.

You can set the CSE to search results only from your web site. Or web. Or
both.

dorayme

"Brian Robertson said:
A while back I asked about a search engine for my website. An example page
is http://www.britishrailways1960.co.uk/WLNCM01.html

Where is the search box in the above url?
Someone kindly suggested http://www.google.com/cse/ Very good it seems too!
One slight problem though. All of the information that I want to index is
inside tables, and this system seems to ignore stuff in tables.

Any suggestions?

Others have said how you can configure the search engine. Besides
the google one I mentioned to you earlier, there is
<http://www.atomz.com/> which is excellent: but may not be
configurable to confine to your site.

But before doing anything further re searching, best to get your
site it into fighting shape. No doctype? Microsoft FrontPage 6.0
generator is fraught with danger.

Get a doctype pronto, get some alt into the img elements, fix up
faults like id="1" (begin with one of {A-Z,a-z} followed by zero
or more of {A-Z,a-z,0-9,-,_,:,.}).

Get rid of font elements, use the CSS sheet and latch onto your
classes and style.

Alderley Edge and Wilmslow eh? That brings back memories! Also, I
used to sit on the embankments near Didsbury station collecting
train numbers! <g>