Install Hanging

dougbreault

Hi All,

I'm super newbie to Ruby/Rails etc.

I've been following a tutorial on the install. Gem installed great, but
the next step is just hanging:

C:\ruby\bin>gem install rails --remote

C:\ruby\bin>"c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe" "c:\ruby\bin\gem" install rails
--remote

Attempting remote installation of 'rails'

(hangs here forever and ever)

This hangtime is occuring on both Windows XP and Windows 2000 Server.

I'm following this tutorial,
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/01/20/rails.html

Thanks for your help and tolerance, it's got to be something stupid.

Doug

dougbreault

Oh wow you weren't kidding. The y/n just appeared. Thought for sure I'd
run it overnight on my system at home (win2000server) to avoid this
very possibility, not sure what happened.

Thanks for the quick reply,
-Doug

Ramya Ramaswamy

Hi All,

I'm super newbie to Ruby/Rails etc.

I've been following a tutorial on the install. Gem installed great, but
the next step is just hanging:

C:\ruby\bin>gem install rails --remote

C:\ruby\bin>"c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe" "c:\ruby\bin\gem" install rails
--remote

Attempting remote installation of 'rails'

(hangs here forever and ever)

This hangtime is occuring on both Windows XP and Windows 2000 Server.

I'm following this tutorial,
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/01/20/rails.html

Thanks for your help and tolerance, it's got to be something stupid.

Doug

Hey Doug,

The installation might take a while,but the process is real
quick.Open up another command prompt and run this command netstat -n
,to check if the connection is established.You would know if there is
any time_wait.
Am a newbie too.Lemme know if this helps.

Regards
Ramya

Dido Sevilla

C:\ruby\bin>gem install rails --remote

C:\ruby\bin>"c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe" "c:\ruby\bin\gem" install rails
--remote

Attempting remote installation of 'rails'

(hangs here forever and ever)

It doesn't. It may be because you have a fairly slow connection.

This tells me that there's a UI problem with rubygems. The first time
I tried this I though that there was such a problem too. I really
think there ought to be some kind of "pacifier" like a twirly baton if
not an honest to goodness progress bar, just to let the user know that
it's actually doing something. Same thing too when having gems compile
extensions.