Installing all gems

caleb clausen

I've tried a couple of times to install all the rubygems packages.
Inevitably, I run into a problem with a gem that's either broken or
incompatible with something else. Can anyone please give me some
instructions for installing all (or as many as possible rubygems?

Lyle Johnson

I've tried a couple of times to install all the rubygems packages.
Inevitably, I run into a problem with a gem that's either broken or
incompatible with something else. Can anyone please give me some
instructions for installing all (or as many as possible rubygems?

I don't doubt your word that you've run across some broken or
incompatible gems, but you're probably not going to get any useful
information unless you post something more specific, e.g. "I tried to
install gem X but it was broken in this way", or, "I tried to install
gem Y but it was incompatible with gem Z". For my part, I've only
installed a small number of specific gems (e.g. those for Rails) and
haven't run into many, if any snags. I certainly haven't tried to
install every possible gem out there to see what would happen.

Bill Guindon

I've tried a couple of times to install all the rubygems packages.
Inevitably, I run into a problem with a gem that's either broken or
incompatible with something else. Can anyone please give me some
instructions for installing all (or as many as possible rubygems?

Somebody's gotta ask the obvious question... Why would you want to?

Really, I'm curious.

caleb clausen

Somebody's gotta ask the obvious question... Why would you want to?

Really, I'm curious.

My goal is not just to make trouble, nor do I just want to have more toys
than anybody else. (Tho the idea does appeal to me....)

I'm trying to test RubyLexer. Part of RubyLexer's tests include a script
that can dertermine (not certainly, but with a high degree of accuracy)
whether RubyLexer is lexing a particular piece of source code in exactly
the same way as ruby itself. I've run this script (and fixed the problems
it found) against every bit of ruby source I could find on my system, and
now I'm looking for more.

I want to make a parser as well, and I'll need to test that. I think
there's a variation of my current test strategy that will tell me, for an
arbitrary source file, whether it has been parsed correctly.

Basically, rubygems will all be a sort of ad-hoc language test suite.

This is the sort of thing that's very easy in Debian. That's how I got all
Debian packages that depend on ruby, which form part of my collection
already. I don't know the reason, maybe because there's more qc of
packages upfront, or because apt checks for problems before even
downloading, or because installation of one package doesn't abort the
whole process. But handing off a long list of packages, some of which are
bad or broken, to apt-get works very smoothly. Not so with rubygems. I
realize Debian is a much more mature system... I'm really just looking for
a workaround. If a package is too broken to install, I don't want it.
Maybe there's someone out there with lots of gems already installed who
can give me a list of non-broken packages?

Bill Guindon

[...]

Forgive the delayed reply, somehow gmail buried this one.

Ahh, I feel better knowing that there actually was a logical reason
for doing what seemed quite strange :)

Might pay to sign up for the gem developers mailing list [1]. It's
an interesting problem, and finding some solution to it would be
helpful (ie: some system for marking stability, etc. -- or gracefully
skipping failed installs)