Error installing all gems on Windows Vista

William C.

Ok, I've run into an issue running the gem install command on Windows
Vista. Doesn't matter which gem I install (sqllite, rails, rspec,...) I
get the same error. I can't figure out how to pass a debug switch to gem
to get more info and the error message is rather vague. Suggestions?

[C:\] ruby --version
ruby 1.9.2p0 (2010-08-18) [i386-mingw32]

[C:\] gem -v
1.3.7

[C:\] gem install sqlite3-ruby

<snip>

Successfully installed sqlite3-ruby-1.3.2-x86-mingw32
1 gem installed
Installing ri documentation for sqlite3-ruby-1.3.2-x86-mingw32...
ERROR: While executing gem ... (TypeError)
can't convert nil into String

Luis Lavena

Ok, I've run into an issue running the gem install command on Windows
Vista. Doesn't matter which gem I install (sqllite, rails, rspec,...) I
get the same error. I can't figure out how to pass a debug switch to gem
to get more info and the error message is rather vague. Suggestions?

<snip>

Successfully installed sqlite3-ruby-1.3.2-x86-mingw32
1 gem installed
Installing ri documentation for sqlite3-ruby-1.3.2-x86-mingw32...
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (TypeError)
    can't convert nil into String

can you try "gem install sqlite3-ruby --no-ri --no-rdoc"

Skip the documentation generation and see if that works.

Dunno why is failing on your end, but updating rdoc could solve it
(gem install rdoc --no-ri --no-rdoc)

William C.

Luis Lavena wrote in post #967284:
can you try "gem install sqlite3-ruby --no-ri --no-rdoc"

Skip the documentation generation and see if that works.

Dunno why is failing on your end, but updating rdoc could solve it
(gem install rdoc --no-ri --no-rdoc)

Luis thanks, you pointed me in the right direction. I followed your last
suggestion first which eventually gave me the real error, a non-absolute
home error.

I found the solution to that error here:
http://groups.google.com/group/rubyinstaller/msg/9158aa07e6d71da8?pli=1

In my case, my system defaults to having its homedrive pointing to a
non-existent H: drive when I'm not VPN'd in. Changing it to C: solved my
problem.

Thanks again.