Installing Perl in OS/2?

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

I want to install Perl in an OS/2 system, and can't find any
installation instructions. I've got the following files, but don't
know what to do with them:

CHECKSUMS
latest.tar.gz
OpenGL-0.4-bin-00-os2.zip
PERL_AOU.ZIP
PERL_BLB.ZIP
PERL_EXC.ZIP
PERL_INF.ZIP
PERL_MAM.ZIP
PERL_MAN.ZIP
PERL_MLB.ZIP
PERL_POD.ZIP
PERL_SH.ZIP
PERL_STE.ZIP
PERL_UTL.ZIP
plINSTAL.zip
PLINSTL0.ZIP
plREADME.zip
stable.tar.gz

PLINSTL0.ZIP contains install.exe install.in_, but doesn't seem to be
self contain. It seems clear that I am supposed to unzip some of the
other files, but it is not clear whether the install utility will
unzip some, or whether I need to unzip all. It is also not clear
whether I need to unzip the files into a temporary directory for the
use of install, or whether I need to unzip them into the run-time
directories.

A second issue is the dates. The files from CPAN are dated 1998. Is
that really the last stable Perl release for OS/2?

Finally, should I be using the tar.gz files rather than the zip files?
If so, what is the proper command to unpack them. Note that while OS/2
does not come with tar or gzip, they are available as part of EMX.

Thanks.

reply to (e-mail address removed)

Peter Weilbacher

I want to install Perl in an OS/2 system, and can't find any
installation instructions. I've got the following files, but don't
know what to do with them:

The file whose name contains README could be of help perhaps? ;-)
plREADME.zip
A second issue is the dates. The files from CPAN are dated 1998. Is
that really the last stable Perl release for OS/2?

I would use the one from
<http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/I/IL/ILYAZ/os2/582+/>, the file
README.1st is what you should read first...
Don't know why Ilya does not put that into the main ports/os2 directory,
it works fine here since beginning of the year. Perhaps he reads this
and enlightens us?

Ilya Zakharevich

Peter Weilbacher
I would use the one from
<http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/I/IL/ILYAZ/os2/582+/>, the file
README.1st is what you should read first...
Don't know why Ilya does not put that into the main ports/os2 directory,
it works fine here since beginning of the year. Perhaps he reads this
and enlightens us?

If you know whom one can ask to change the layout of ports/os2, then
probably you can ask yourselves, right? ;-) I have only (a partial)
control over id/ILYAZ...

Hint, hint. 1/2 ;-)

Hope this helps,
Ilya